Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

How to reprogram Stratix V GX FPGA board after first successful program using Quartus Prime?

JWrig25
Beginner

I have been trying to program this board using Quartus Prime and finally got a program to go through to the board. However, this programming put the board in a different state, and now Quartus does not recognize the programming hardware anymore on the board. I have tried to reset the DIP switches and push the reset buttons on the FPGA but nothing will allow it to return to its normal state for reprogramming. It seems stuck with the first program I gave it which did not perform how I anticipated. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

Hi JWrig25,

What do you means by "Quartus does not recognize the programming hardware"? Is Quartus doesn't recognize FPGA or Flash device or both?

Did you used Intel Stratix V GX FPGA? (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/kit-sv-gx-host.html)

Have you probe your JTAG pins? did you recognize any weird waveform?

Which USB-blaster you are using? (Blaster I or Blaster II)

Thanks

0 Kudos
JWrig25
Beginner

What I mean is that when I open up the Programmer window, I click the autodetect to detect my FPGA after I have selected the USB-BlasterII and I get the error message "Unable to scan device chain. On-board programming hardware is disabled". I am using the Stratix V GX FPGA Dev Kit. I have not probed the JTAG pins, I tried resetting all the DIP switches and pressing the different reset buttons but have not been able to fix anything. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee

HI JWrig25,

Can you kindly try to reduce your TCK frequency to 6 MHz?

Below link is the command to change TCK frequency (on page 14= 2.8. Changing the TCK Frequency)

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr_ii_cable.pdf#page=14

Kindly try it out with your design and let me know the result.

Thanks

0 Kudos