Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15555 Discussions

How to use "set_clock_groups" properly to constrain 2 asynchronous clocks in different clock domains

Amir21
Novice

Hello,

In my project, I have two different clock domains:

1. The first domain use the "sys_clk" from 10[MHz] external oscillator.

2. The second domain use the "pll_clk" (60[MHz]) that generated by PLL module from source of 100[MHz] external oscillator.

It says that the setup time slack of pll_clk is negative,  I see the worst-case timing paths, I found that the launch clock is sys_clk ,and the latch clock is pll_clk

Those two clocks are completely unrelated (have different ideal clock sources), when I'm trying to use the "set_clock_groups" definition In my SDC file, as follow: 

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group {sys_clk} -group {uart_pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll|clk[1]}

I get those two warning messages:

Warning (332174): Ignored filter at project.sdc(67): "uart_pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll|clk[1]" could not be matched with a clock

Warning (332049): Ignored set_clock_groups at project.sdc(67): Argument -group with value uart_pll|altpll_component|auto_generated|pll|clk[1] could not match any element of the following types: ( clk )

I don't know how to resolve it,

I will be glad to learn from your experience.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Here's what I did. Works as expected.

create_clock -period 20.0 -name CLOCK_50 [get_ports {CLOCK_50}]

create_generated_clock -source {pll|altpll_component|pll|inclk[0]} -divide_by 5 -multiply_by 8 -duty_cycle 50 -name CPUCLK {pll|altpll_component|pll|clk[0]}

create_generated_clock -source {pll|altpll_component|pll|clk[0]} -divide_by 5000 -duty_cycle 50 -name RTCCLK {dk8ea_clock:rtc|rtcclk}

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group {CLOCK_50} -group {CPUCLK} -group {RTCCLK} -group {altera_reserved_tck}

Note you use the NAME of the clock groups in the set_clock_groups command, not the signal or pin names.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Here's what I did. Works as expected.

create_clock -period 20.0 -name CLOCK_50 [get_ports {CLOCK_50}]

create_generated_clock -source {pll|altpll_component|pll|inclk[0]} -divide_by 5 -multiply_by 8 -duty_cycle 50 -name CPUCLK {pll|altpll_component|pll|clk[0]}

create_generated_clock -source {pll|altpll_component|pll|clk[0]} -divide_by 5000 -duty_cycle 50 -name RTCCLK {dk8ea_clock:rtc|rtcclk}

set_clock_groups -asynchronous -group {CLOCK_50} -group {CPUCLK} -group {RTCCLK} -group {altera_reserved_tck}

Note you use the NAME of the clock groups in the set_clock_groups command, not the signal or pin names.

Amir21
Novice
Hi,

I tried it and it worked perfectly!
Thanks a lot, really appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Aizik Amos.
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

(duplicate but I can't delete it)

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Have you tried ak6dn's suggestion?

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi Aizik Amos,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best regards,

KhaiY