Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

I got a question about timing analysis, for the input delay of source synchronous interface

LEric4
Novice

Hi all,

I got a question about timing analysis, for the input delay of source synchronous interface, there are two ways in the manual , one is using external parameter, one is using FPGA requirement.

If use of external input parameters ,my calculation of Max delay is 1 ns, while using FPGA requirement input Max delay is 13 ns, the timing analysis results are completely different when using the above two ways,

My question is, since the two ways to calculate the input delay value is completely different, how does Quartus know which way we use when do timing analysis?

Capture.PNG

BR,

Eric

8 Replies
LEric4
Novice

Can someone help me? I've been waiting online, thanks

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The calculated values between the two methods should not be so wildly different. What information do you have and what are your calculations?

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
LEric4
Novice

hi sstrellCapture2.JPGCapture1.JPG ,thanks for your reply. In my design, take the input max delay as example,

by using the external parameters, input max delay = Board delay -Board clock Skew + Tco = 1ns,

by using FPGA requirement, input max delay = T -Tsu = 15.626 -2.5 = 13.125ns, CLK_Freq=64M, Tsu=2.5ns.

So by using different way, the results were very different, Is my calculation way not correct?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Where is the tco value coming from? I don't see that in the data you've provided. It looks like you are given tS and tH, so 13.125 ns is correct for input delay max. Input delay min would be 2.5 ns.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
LEric4
Novice

I can't find the Tc in the chip manual, can I set it to 0

0 Kudos
LEric4
Novice

I can't find the Tco in the ​chip datasheet, so I set it to 0, can I set it to 0?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

No, you can't set it to 0. You've got tS and tH and the correct calculations. You don't need to worry about the tco of the external device. You only need to use one method to constrain or the other. Just use 13.125 and 2.5 as I mentioned.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
LEric4
Novice
0 Kudos