Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Installing Quartus Programmer on Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hola, I'm trying to install the web edition of Quartus 11.0.SP1 on Ubuntu 14.04. 

I have re-linked sh to bash, and have install tcsh. 

When I run the installer, I get this error: 

keilorpark:~/src/Altera Quartus Linux> ./11.0sp1_programmer_linux.sh Creating directory 11.0sp1_programmer_linux Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing Stand-Alone Quartus II Programmer (Free).................................................................................................................................................................. Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 23, in <module> File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 436, in importHook File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 521, in doimport File "/build/swbuild/SJ/nightly/11.0sp1/208/l32/work/installers/linux32/build/pyi.linux2/altera_installer_cmd/outPYZ1.pyz/cli", line 23, in <module> File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 436, in importHook File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 521, in doimport File "/build/swbuild/SJ/nightly/11.0sp1/208/l32/work/installers/linux32/build/pyi.linux2/altera_installer_cmd/outPYZ1.pyz/altera_installer", line 34, in <module> File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 436, in importHook File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 521, in doimport File "/build/swbuild/SJ/nightly/11.0sp1/208/l32/work/installers/linux32/build/pyi.linux2/altera_installer_cmd/outPYZ1.pyz/gui_common", line 17, in <module> File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 477, in importHook File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 495, in doimport File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 297, in getmod File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/archive.py", line 468, in getmod File "/tools/python/2.6.4/linux32/pyinstaller/iu.py", line 109, in getmod ImportError: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6: symbol png_set_expand_gray_1_2_4_to_8, version PNG12_0 not defined in file libpng12.so.0 with link time reference  

What can I do to fix this?  

Two things I feel I should note:  

- I don't use Quartus and don't really know how it works or what it does. I am a sysadmin that is supporting Quartus users.  

- We only need the command line version of Quartus Programmer. (apparently) 

Cheers
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, I've managed to get 13.1 installed. Needed to install libc6-i386 which was discovered after running the installer through strace and finding that a "missing so" was the problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have been having the same problem on Ubuntu14. I must use quartus version <= 11.1 since I need support for my device Max 7000 family...it is very annoying 

that this libpng12.so.0 (that is shipped with the installer) keeps preventing installing the program...even if I change the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to first have the /usr/lib (or whatever) in the list the installer still keeps picking up the libpng12.so.0 sitting in the installer's directory. Also, if I replace it with a symbolic link to point to the system libpng12.so.0 (sitting in /usr/lib/) then the installer says that I don't have a valid installation source... 

Actually a similar problem occurs when I try to start a browser in the Help menu, then I get an error saying something is wrong with the shipped libstdc++6.so.0, 

but at least replacing that with a symbolic link pointing to the system one under /usr/lib solved the issue.. 

Some fix would highly appreciated... 

Balint
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I have been having the same problem on Ubuntu14. I must use quartus version <= 11.1 since I need support for my device Max 7000 family...it is very annoying 

that this libpng12.so.0 (that is shipped with the installer) keeps preventing installing the program...even if I change the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to first have the /usr/lib (or whatever) in the list the installer still keeps picking up the libpng12.so.0 sitting in the installer's directory. Also, if I replace it with a symbolic link to point to the system libpng12.so.0 (sitting in /usr/lib/) then the installer says that I don't have a valid installation source... 

Actually a similar problem occurs when I try to start a browser in the Help menu, then I get an error saying something is wrong with the shipped libstdc++6.so.0, 

but at least replacing that with a symbolic link pointing to the system one under /usr/lib solved the issue.. 

Balint 

--- Quote End ---  

Ok, I've actually got it working. I wont go into too much detail, but there was one fundamental I didn't understand, and one underlying OS design I didn't understand. 

1. QProgrammer doesn't know about my chip. I had to tell it about my chip by launching the GUI, choosing my blaster, scanning the blaster, choosing the unknown chip, then richt click, "Change Device", Select the random chars in right window, "Edit" and entered the details. I am lucky in that the cdf instructions for that particular chip were ignore - YMMV. 

2. I can't quite explain, but it goes something like this: 

Every time qprogrammer threw a hissy fit, I noted which file was missing (it happened about 10 times before I got it to launch). I would then "sudo apt-file -s i386 search <file>" to find which package contained that file, and then "sudo apt-get install <package>:i386". The "colon three-eight-six" was important - it installed the correct libs. 

For furhter research, these pages are how I cobbled together this solution: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35885 

http://askubuntu.com/questions/52617/what-is-usr-lib-i386-linux-gnu-for 

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/119798/mint-correct-way-to-install-lib-i386-linux-gnu-libgmp-so-3 

Final note: despite all attempts otherwise, was never able to get QP 64bit working (using the --64bit flag)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hola, I'm trying to install the web edition of Quartus 11.0.SP1 on Ubuntu 14.04. 

--- Quote End ---  

If anyone else is having trouble with this, these steps helped me set up Quartus 11.1 on Ubuntu 14.04: 

chmod 700 11.1_173_quartus_linux.sh 

bash 11.1_173_quartus_linux.sh 

cd 11.1_173_quartus_linux 

mv altera_installer/bin/libpng12.so.0 ../ 

bash ./setup 

Inspiration from here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-571770-start-0.html on the libpng issue. 

Cheers.
OBlan2
Beginner

This also works on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Quartus ii and ModelSim installers.

The reason to move the the libpng12.so.0 out of the bin folder is that it does not work, so, you are forcing the installer to look in any other location.

The library is available to be installed from the Ubuntu repo for the i386 and x86_64 architectures.

0 Kudos