Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Intel Modelsim simulation of IP without its license

RLedu
Novice

Hi,

I try to run a simulation in modelsim with a qsys design called "soc_system" including, in my case, the JESD204B IP, which requires a licence. I know I will need license to compile in the end my project in .sof, but about simulation and debugging ?

I noticed that when I load my design in modelsim, with library soc_system compiled automatically as usual by Quartus from "soc_system.qip", the library will be uncomplete and only the encrypted designs (5 verilog files in soc_system.qip) will be missing (with error msg vsim 3033 design unit not found).

The thing is that my objective was to perform simulation of this IP to ensure that I'm able to run it , and only in this case I want to proceed to compilation and thus buy the JESD204 license.

If I already need to buy the license only for debugging I don't get the point ... ?

But I guess I'm wrong and there is a way to compile these encrypted files in the Intel modelsim library from Quartus ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Hello RLedu,

Good day!

Yes, you can get the evaluation license from our distributor to evaluate the IP before you deciding which license is suitable for your project.

Sales and distributor link :

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Thank you. Have a great day!

Wani

0 Kudos
RLedu
Novice

Hello Wani,

Thanks for the answer !

So I understood well that it is possible to run Modelsim simulations with evaluation mode of licensed IPs.

However I believe I already got the evaluation or "free" version of the JESD204 IP because I can succesfully compile a design and reach the "time limited" version of .sof file. While to use it for Modelsim, I cannot at all ! Do you have any suggestion ? 

I use Quartus Prime Standard Edition 18.0 and ModelSim Starter edition 10.5b.

Thanks again 

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Do you get any error or it is not working at all?

If you get the error, can you copy it here?

Wani

0 Kudos
RLedu
Novice

I have the vsim-3033 errors as follows in the attached console log file which shows that it couldn't find some designs of jesd204b IP (the encrypted ones).

These designs are in my soc_system.qip file which is included in my testbench project. To me it looks like a library compilation issue ? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Zawani_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It seems like you are getting error due to missing some library.

The module is not found. You can look for missing module in simulation script and files generated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos