Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15317 Discussions

Is there a Synthesizable syntax with writing file in verilog??

euem789
Novice

Hi guys,

Now I'm Using

--------------------------

Software : Quartus 18.1

Board : DE1 - Soc

-------------------------

I'm facing problem with FILE IO in verilog . (

what I want to do is making an output file with synthesizable syntax (targeting the implementation of FPGA board Not for simulation)

here's the code I wrote.

module readmem(clk);
	input clk;

reg [7:0] rmem [0:2];
	reg [7:0] wmem [0:2];

initial begin
		$readmemb("C:\\test_num.bin",mem);
		$writememb("C:\\test_num_reslut.bin",wmem);

wmem[0]=(rmem[0]<<1);
		wmem[1]=(rmem[1]<<1);
		wmem[2]=(rmem[2]<<1);			
	end
endmodule

After compile what I expected  was generated  output file 'test_num_result.bin'  but nothing happend.

I heard that $readmem syntax is able to synthesize( also used for memory initialization),  and there was no problem with compilation.

and no error with $writemem syntax too.

Could someone tell me am I doing right??

I'll be really appreciated if someone tell me what's wrong....

and furthermore,

- Is it possible to perform only with verilog in quartus??

or do I have to use a soft processor (NIOS) ??

( What I'm trying to do for my project is reading a image file with applying sobel-mask and then, making an output file through my FPGA board)

thanks for reading

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KhaiChein_Y_Intel
2 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

According to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/current/index.htm#hdl/vlog/vlog_lis..., only $readmemb/$readmemh are supported.

Thanks

Best regards,

KhaiY

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

Best regards,

KhaiY