Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

Is there a way to uninstall nios2eds to save disk (Docker image) size?

OHarb1
Novice

nios2eds takes quite a bit of space and I don't need it in my P&R Docker image.

Is there a way to uninstall it?

It currently takes 7 minutes to pull in a Docker image in Google Cloud (20gByte), nios2eds is a substantial fraction of that time.

Most silly errors are at the beginning of P&R, so startup time matters significantly w.r.t. development throughput.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

There isn't a direct way to uninstall the NIOS II EDS but you can uncheck it while installing the Quartus if needed.

0 Kudos
OHarb1
Novice

When creating a Docker image, I need to use a command line, I can't use the GUI installer.

What command line option do I use not to install NIOS II EDS?

The possible arguments to "--disable-components" does not include NIOS II EDS.

I'm currently using:

./QuartusProSetup-19.3.0.222-linux.run \

--installdir /opt/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/ \

--mode unattended --unattendedmodeui none --accept_eula 1 \

--disable-components quartus_help,agilex,cyclone10gx,stratix10,modelsim_ase,modelsim_ae,hls,dsp_builder,aocl

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Please read the following for more guidance in how to setup Quartus

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/quartus_install.pdf

Regards,

0 Kudos
OHarb1
Novice

I can't find anything in this manual about how to reduce image size beyond the "--disable-components" option. There's nothing about how to not install nios2eds.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

The NIOS II SBT is separated at Quartus 19.1 and above. For the earlier versions. I recommend you to upgrade to v19.1 or above. I understand that you need to reduce the tool image size but unfortunately, there isn't a dedicated command to uninstall the NIOS SBT.

Regards,

0 Kudos
OHarb1
Novice

I'm using Quartus 19.3 and I haven't downloaded NIOS II SBT. However, when I run the command line below, it still installs the nios2eds folder.

Also, we can see from the 19.3 description below that even with individual files, NIOS II EDS is included. It is the NIOS II Eclipse that is available as a separate download.

./QuartusProSetup-19.3.0.222-linux.run \

--installdir /opt/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/ \

--mode unattended --unattendedmodeui none --accept_eula 1 \

--disable-components quartus_help,agilex,cyclone10gx,stratix10,modelsim_ase,modelsim_ae,hls,dsp_builder,aocl

Screenshot from 2020-02-07 08-39-55.png

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Thanks a lot for your reply.

So, I will create an internal ticket to check this, if this is a bug and will let you know the fix or the workaround provided by the engineering team.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, Quartus and certain IPs need Nios II EDS . There is no option to decouple them.

In case of not installing the NIOS II EDS, many IPs will stop working and the Quartus behavior will behave unexpectedly.

Please let me know how can I help you.

Regards,

0 Kudos
OHarb1
Novice

I see.

Please convey to the Intel developers that it is a feature request to be able to reduce the installation size as it reduces the Docker image size, which improves performance of Quartus in the cloud.

Sincerely,

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this request. I've created a feature request to developers. As you know this will not be available right now. I will inform you once we get this ready.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, we don't have this option right now but will be available in the next installation files. It might be available before version 20.4.

Regards,

0 Kudos
OHarb1
Novice

Excellent! Thanks! Docker image size is really important w.r.t. turnaround times and ease of use in the cloud.

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your understanding.

0 Kudos