Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Is there any reason why the actual behavior in this symbol is different from the schematic?

OJin0
Beginner

I use Quartus (Quartus Prime 19.1) Lite Edition.

The attached 32-bit counter symbol outputs a duty 50 waveform from t1 to t8, but a narrow waveform from t9 to t31. JOS_COUNT_4_CiRs are all the same.

Is there any reason why the actual behavior in this symbol is different from the schematic?

Best regards,

Oksang

0 Kudos
13 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

The attached 32-bit counter symbol outputs a duty 50 waveform from t1 to t8, but a narrow waveform from t9 to t31. JOS_COUNT_4_CiRs are all the same.

Could you explain the above behaviour in details?Are you simulating the JOS_counter_32.bsf and JOS_counter_32.bdf? Could you share the screenshot of the result and testbench?

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner

Hello, thanks for the reply.

The schematic and simulation waveform of JOS_counter_32 are captured and a picture is attached.

I am correcting some posts in the question; Correct t0 to t7 as normal waveforms and t8 to t31 as abnormal waveforms. It was not confirmed after t13.

Best regards,

Oksang

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner

It was confirmed to be the same as the simulation wave in the GPIO of 10M08SCU169C8G.

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner

This is a test bench file.

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner

The reason JOS_counter_32 behaved abnormally was my mistake.

The module JOS_COUNT_4_CiRs used in JOS_counter_32 has been found to be misdesigned. I misunderstood Carry's concept and designed it.

Now it is working fine. The JOS_COUNT_4xor_CiRs module that works normally is attached.

The reason I designed the JOS_counter_32 module is because LMP-COUNTER (COUNTER_14) does not work, and it is limited to 8 bits by JOS_counter_32, but I have confirmed that the system works.

Is there a problem with my PC?

Or, is the installed Quartus Prime 19.1 installed incorrectly?

If the module is normal, is it a compiler problem?

What can I offer you for review?

Best regards,

Oksang

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner

Hello,

JOS_counter_32 was fixed by me, and now all bit output is normal.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner

Hello,

Modified JOS_counter_32 file.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

I understand that the waveform issue has been resolved.

I tried to create a LPM_COUNTER, the maximum width supported is 256. You mentioned that the LPM-COUNTER IP does not work and it is limited to 8 bits. May I know what error you see? Is it a compilation error? Could you share the error message and steps to reproduce the error?

Capture.PNG

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner

Hello,

The error message could not be saved at the time the error occurred.

Reproducing it today, it is working fine.

At that time, there was no waveform of all output bits.

In the current project, everything is operating normally, so it seems that the past state cannot be reproduced.

So, I am checking with the new project "ElectricPiano_00_00", but the problem is also confirmed in this project.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner

In the reply I wrote earlier, in the Counter_14 test schematic, I have now found that the output pin is connected incorrectly. There was no signal from the simulation to the output pin (tt_xx) due to incorrect pin assignment. (See the blue box in the attached file)

After modifying the Pin Name, it was simulated as a normal waveform.

In this test, there was a problem with pin assignment.

A few days ago, I have been suspicious of my computer. Because my computer was very feverish, I had less fever after installing the termination plug on an unused USB port.

In addition, the mouse pointer does not move during use, and it is often stopped, and just before the mouse pointer starts moving, the computer speaker makes a low volume connection sound every time.

So, I am only designing with Schematic.

So I am designing all the symbols I need for my project directly with Schematic.

When I was using Quarters Prime, I thought I might have some kind of data modification inside my invisible, so I contacted the Intel forum.

Thanks for your reply.

Best regards,

Oksang

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi OKsang,

I understand that the error cannot be reproduced again in JOS_counter_32 design, everything is working as expected now.

Regarding the ElectricPiano_00_00 design, you mentioned that the problem had occured in this design too. May I know whether the error is referring to simulation error or LPM_COUNTER generation error?

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos
OJin0
Beginner
Hello, In ElectricPiano_00_00, LPM_COUNTER has no problem at all. 50MHz input, 1/50 divided, 1MHz accurate output. OK. However, there is a problem with the array of four synchronous counters (74160). The output of the 4th counter does not output at the designed frequency. There is an error in the simulation result, and there is also an error in the actual board output. Below is my post on the forum. - Below - " Right now I'm using version 19.1 only. We found clues that differed between the function of the schematic and the simulation result. As below. Like Schematic, inst7 (TFF) should be triggered on X3 output to be normal. However, in the currently simulated wave picture, inst7 (DFF) was triggered on X2. In the PIN_F12 terminal of the board, 261Hz is output if it is normal as in the schematic, but the current 522Hz signal is actually doubled. Why are they different from the schematic and simulation results? I have attached the current project folder. " Thank you.
0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi OKsang,

Sure. Thanks for the update. I notice that this new question regarding the ElectricPiano_00_00 project is tracked in another post https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004fZip3SAC/new-project-electricpiano0000-request-a-review-of-whats-wrong. My colleague will assist you on this new question in the new post.

Thanks.

Best regards,

KhaiY

0 Kudos