Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

It's possible to modify vhdl in quartus with out to close ModelSIm

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm making simulations of my project, but every time I simulate and then change something in quartus II vhdl files, I need to close ModelSim to run again the simulation and this means to lose the configuration of signals I'm watching. 

Is there any way to simulate without lossing the selected watching signals. 

I want to do this without touching the test bench vhdl file 

Thanks 

Guillermo
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

try these commands in the modelsim command window:  

vcom filename.vhd (compile vhdl file) restart run (x ns/ -all)  

This will recompile the source. When you restart it reloads the recompiled files.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

so you are using NativeLink to start an RTL simulation? if so, you can edit the source HDL and re-run the .do script (one way is to push Up in the transcript window until you see the Quartus generated .do file and then push Enter) in ModelSim without going back to Quartus. if you've added signals and re-run the simulation you can also push Up then Enter to re-run those commands. you can do this as long as you haven't added/removed HDL files to your project, if you have you'll need to re-run NativeLink 

alternatively you can copy+paste the add wave commands from the transcript window into the Quartus generated .do file, then re-run the .do file using Up then Enter. you can even tell NativeLink to launch ModelSim using your edited script. the downside is that if you add/remove source files you have to add them to your edited .do file yourself, or re-run NativeLink to generate a new .do file, then add your custom wave commands back in 

i should make an AlteraWiki page with some ModelSim tips
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I tried what you said but I haven't been able to resimulate without closing modelsim and losing my signal configuration. 

I tried some other commands and recompiling with modelsim but nothing seems to work. 

Guillermo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi again, 

For user with same problem, I don't really do what I want but a way for conserve the signals is to save the format and load it every time I make the simulation. 

I will continue searching for the way to dont need to close modelsim 

Guillermo
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

have you edited the Quartus generated .do file?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

No, I don't modify the .do, but, from modelsim, when I save the format I see that the file is saved with .do extension. I will open it to see what is inside  

Guillermo
0 Kudos