Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16704 Discussions

JAM player giving errors with .jam file (generated by 19.1 Quattrus)

MaheshR
Beginner

Hello, I was trying to see if I could program a Cyclone 10 Max FPGA via embedded device (NXP processor running linux) using a JAM player. I am aware that Intel no longer supports a JAM player, but I managed to find one which claims to have been tested on Raspberry pi.

I created the .jam file from Quatrus Programmer Pro (19.1) for the corresponding firmware .pof file (File-->Create JAM,JBC,SVF)

I compiled the Jam player from the below source, which has it running on raspberry pi/GPIO, something closest to what I could run on the NXP processor we have.

https://github.com/margro/jam-stapl

However, I get the below error when I run on a raspberry pi (./jam -aconfigure <jam file>

MaheshR_0-1694103793992.png

The line pointed to the below line which has an @ symbol in the initialization.

BOOLEAN A42[486352] = @

wrE00u@@@@3q6aP86Zmm4iDKJDresZ@x@@Vs@@@ll@@V@@_@P81@@y@fr0_@@@xD

1_@@@_l@@z@@y713yVt@x@@9t@@@Fk@@V@py@_@Vdz@@@Zz@@t@5@V8C0n@@l@R_

V@@Vv_@@@P_@@xVc@F8C0t@@l@f@@8n0S@@@_dw@z@@Mx@@@dn@@l@j_@Gn000mD

Aw@@ZJ6y@@0000081882G84W8809G0AWM210GGd910010TW4G050000000G01800

….

I am wondering if the Quatrus programmer Pro generates .jam files with newer JECDEC syntax (if any) which the jam player (which is about 9 yrs old) cannot decode. Or could it be a non-standard? I didn’t see any settings/options when creating .jam file either.

I know Intel does not formally support this tool anymore, but has anyone encountered this?

Any older version of Quatrus programmer tool I can try with?

Any guidance will be appreciated,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Fakhrul
Employee

Hi,

There's a KDB filed for the same error you've encountered. Though it might not directly same issue as yours, I hope it could give you some insight on this.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000076377.html

Regards,

Fakhrul

0 Kudos
MaheshR
Beginner

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Yes, I was able to build and run the 32-bit application on Ubuntu (raspberry pi). It was able to parse the .jam file without errors.

Hoewever I ran in to errors during initialization where it was not able to read a valid IDCODE properly . It outputted a different IDCODE every time I ran it. Not sure if this is a problem with the driver itself or the hardware (using GPIO to do the JTAG programming).

A few questions:

1) Is this error (reading IDCODE) something common? Is there any pointers I could look in to? 

2) I'll be running this driver on a aarch64 64-bit Ubuntu. I am not sure I should install packages to support (like multilib, libc6) in the 64 bit, Root File System just to support this application. I would like to get a 64 bit version of this driver, with all the necessary porting done for 64 bit. Does Intel has any plans to provide a 64 bit driver for the same? Or any guidance in porting this software to 64 bit?

Thanks

Regards

Mahesh

0 Kudos
Fakhrul
Employee

We would like to inform you that since we haven't received a response from you regarding our previous notification, we will now move this discussion to community support. If you have any new questions or concerns, we recommend starting a new thread to receive assistance from Intel experts. Alternatively, if you don't have any further inquiries, our community users will be here to help you in this thread. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos