Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Library naming issue with "add_hdl_instance"

c-thaler
Novice

My static IP component needs a floating point "multiply and add". So I added an altera_fp_functions instance via "add_hdl_instance" in the elaboration function of my IP's TCL file.

That works fine so far. However, Platform Designer puts the component into a library with a generated name, which is based on the system's hierarchy (something like "top_myip_mymultiplyadd").
Of course, my IP component's VHDL code must be generic. It must not depend on any system hierarchy.

Is there a way to force Platform Designer to use a static library name?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Sorry for the late reply. Could you refer to the document link on 2.10.1. Static IP Components - Typical Usage of the add_hdl_instance Command for Static Components

Check that you have followed the correct usage of the add_hdl_instance for static components. 
Let me know if it helps to solve the issue. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos
c-thaler
Novice

Thanks for the reply. I solved the issue in the meantime. But I did not follow the document you referred to.

I added a Verilog wrapper file for the generated floating point instance, since Verilog does not have the concept of libraries. Then I added the wrapper file to qip into the same library my component uses. After that, I was able to successfully instantiate the Verilog wrapper from my component's source code. I did not use autogenerated names, so it worked without any regex substitutions to the original source code.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Good to know that you are able to found the solution. This will be helpful to those who may come across similar issue.

With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

0 Kudos