Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

MAX10 ADC (Quartus)

MAYLIS
Beginner

Hi, I configured the ADC of the MAX10 on Quartus, I powered it but I am stuck in the initialization of this last one, I wrote a code to initialize it but I still cannot have the data. It's in sample_store_csr_readdata where there are the samples, I put the address to 0x0000000 and the read to 1 and to initialize the ADC I put the address to 0x0, write to 1 and writedata to 1 because bit 0 corresponds to the initialization of the ADC.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi MAYLIS,

I have difficulty understanding the term 'initialization'. To initialize means bit 0 of CMD register = '1' i.e. Run?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_adc.pdf

Regards.

0 Kudos
MAYLIS
Beginner

Hello !!

Thanks for your reply. Exactly, to run it, I have to set bit 0 to 1, I am attaching a screenshot of the datasheet.

Capture d’écran 2021-04-22 à 13.23.51.png

Here is my code for the initialization,  I put also the sample_read to 1 so that I can activate data reading  that I will recover them then with a PIO, but I still don't succeed I don't know the error it comes from where :

library IEEE;
use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
use IEEE.numeric_std.all;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
entity data_initialisation is

port(

clk    : in std_logic;

sequencer_address      : out  std_logic                     := 'X';             -- address
            sequencer_read         : out  std_logic                     := 'X';             -- read
            sequencer_write        : out  std_logic                     := 'X';             -- write
            sequencer_writedata    : out  std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); -- writedata
           -- sequencer_readdata     : in std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) ;                    -- readdata

sample_store_address   : out  std_logic_vector(6 downto 0)  := (others => 'X'); -- address
            sample_store_read      : out  std_logic                     := 'X';             -- read
            sample_store_write     : out  std_logic                     := 'X';             -- write
            --sample_store_writedata : out  std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); -- writedata
            sample_store_readdata  : in std_logic_vector(31 downto 0)                    -- readdata

);

end entity data_initialisation;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

architecture behavioral of data_initialisation is

signal register_samples : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);
signal  sequencer_readdata     :  std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) ;                    -- readdata
signal sample_store_writedata :  std_logic_vector(31 downto 0) := (others => 'X'); -- writedata

type seq_FSM_state_machine is (idle, write_CSR_sequencer, read_samples);
signal seq_FSM : seq_FSM_state_machine := idle;

begin

seq : process ( clk)

begin

if clk'event and clk = '1' then

case seq_FSM is
 when idle =>
 seq_FSM <= write_CSR_sequencer;
 when write_CSR_sequencer =>
seq_FSM <= read_samples;
 when read_samples =>
     seq_FSM <= read_samples;
end case;
end if;
end process;

process ( seq_FSM)

begin

case seq_FSM is

when idle =>

sequencer_address  <=  '0';

sequencer_read            <= '0';
         sequencer_write          <= '0';
         sequencer_writedata       <= (others => '0');

sample_store_address <=  std_logic_vector(to_unsigned (16#0000#, sample_store_address'length));
sample_store_read <= '0';
sample_store_write <= '0';

when write_CSR_sequencer =>

sequencer_address         <=  '0';

sequencer_write         <= '1';
         sequencer_writedata       <= x"00000001";

when read_samples =>

sample_store_address <=  std_logic_vector(to_unsigned (16#0000#, sample_store_address'length));

sample_store_read <= '1';
register_samples <= sample_store_readdata ;

when others =>

sequencer_address  <=  '0';

sequencer_write          <= '0';
         sequencer_writedata       <= (others => '0');
sample_store_read <= '0';

end case;

end process;

end architecture behavioral;

To read  data with the PIO, I just put an IORD of the PIO on eclipse, I don't know if this is what I should do or it is necessary to write a function to increase the addresses by 4 and after reading the value.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the code.

The problem is that there is no handshake mechanism between data_initialisation entity and the ADC IP.

Once you give a Run command, you need to wait for the sample_store_irq_irq signal from the IP to indicate that the digital data is ready to be read.

Then you should initiate a read command to the sample store csr interface to get that digital data.

After initiating the read expect the data at the next clock edge from when the csr interface gets the read command. This is due to Avalon-MM interface latency.

Regards.

MAYLIS
Beginner

Thanks a lot, I'll try it.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

There are some videos available on Intel FPGA YouTube channel. Providing link for one of them for your reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UscboZ1Vho

Regards.

0 Kudos