Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15323 Discussions

Merge partitions in Quartus Pro - Equivalent of "quartus_cdb --merge"

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Quartus pro 17.1, how can I merge all partitions of a design so that only a single QDB file is needed to reuse this design elsewhere?  

In Quartus Standard, this could be accomplished via "quartus_cdb --merge", which would take a design that includes multiple QXP netlist files and merge it so it could be exported (via "quartus_cdb --incremental_compilation_export") as a single QXP.  

The goal is that later on a user of the design could import a single QDB file without the requirement of importing QDB files for sub-partitions. 

Edit: specified version = Quartus Pro 17.1
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Refer the “2.11.4.1 Import and Export Version-Compatible Designs from the Design Flow” & “2.11.4.2 Quartus_cdb Executables to Manage Version-Compatible Databases” 

From the following link, 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/qts-qpp-handbook.p... 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

Intel Customer Support – Engineering 

(Under Contract to Intel)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

Refer the “2.11.4.1 Import and Export Version-Compatible Designs from the Design Flow” & “2.11.4.2 Quartus_cdb Executables to Manage Version-Compatible Databases” 

From the following link, 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/qts/qts-qpp-handbook.p... 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

Intel Customer Support – Engineering 

(Under Contract to Intel) 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you Vikas. I have attempted to do this, but I do not believe the export_design command works when you plan to reuse the design as a sub-partition of another. I hope to merge my entire design into a single QDB file, and then use that QDB file as a sub-module/sub-partition of another design. This is straightforward in Quartus Standard with merged QXP files. When I attempt to reuse the QDB file as a partition after using export_design (as suggested in the link provided), I get the following error: 

Error (18633): The archive "<my_sub_design>.qdb" contains a full design and cannot be imported via the import_block comamnd nor as a source file in the QSF. 

I am including the QDB file in the design via: 

set_instance_assignment -name PARTITION <name> -to <instance> -entity <top> 

set_instance_assignment -name QDB_FILE_PARTITION <file> -to <instance> -entity <top> 

The way I was originally exporting the design was via "quartus_cdb --export_partition root_partition" (see https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57908 for more info). The issue with exporting the root partition is that I then need to import that QDB file and QDB files for all sub-partitions in the consumer project.