Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Mixed language ModelSim/Questa simulations with altera_mf

david_
Beginner

Hi

I have a mixed language design using SystemVerilog, Verilog and VHDL. In this design there are a number of Intel FPGA components, which are either VHDL or Verilog.

I am having an issue when trying to simulate the system as a whole, which I think is due to altera_mf being used in both languages. If I compile the verilog version of altera_mf my VHDL components fail to simulate. If I compile altera_mf in Verilog the opposite is true.

The commands I am using when compiling altera_mf in VHDL are:

vlib altera_mf vmap altera_mf altera_mf vcom -work lpm -2008 -explicit "$(QUARTUS_HOME)/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf_components.vhd" vcom -work lpm -2008 -explicit "$(QUARTUS_HOME)/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.vhd"

The command I use when compiling altera_mf in Verilog is:

vlog -work altera_mf $(QUARTUS_HOME)/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.v

Everything seems to compile fine, the issue is after the vsim command from my Questa makefile:

vsim -L altera_mf -L lpm -64 -voptargs="+acc" -lib ${library} ${top_level} +UVM_TESTNAME=${test_case} +UVM_VERBOSITY=${uvm_verbosity} -do "do wave.tcl; run -all"

The Verilog error I am getting is from an altsyncram and complains about the lines for altsyncram_component.<parameters> being "Illegal target for defparam."

The VHDL error is from an altsqrt component with the following message: "(vopt-1130) Port "ena" of entity "altsqrt" is not in the component being instantiated."

Compiling altera_mf in verilog and VHDL appears to produce different results. Can you see anything wrong with what I am doing? Alternatively is there another way I run a simulation with both Intel Verilog and VHDL IP?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Abe
Valued Contributor II

If you're using the Intel Edition ModelSim software, you need not compile the FPGA device libraries again. All you need to do is to include them in the vsim command using the -L <lib_name> .

altera_mf for VHDL

and altera_mf_ver for Verilog

For ex,

vsim -work ... -L altera_mf_ver include any other device specific libraries this way. On the safer side you could add both VHDL as well as Verilog libraries to the simulation using the -L altera_mf -L altera_mf_ver ... options and try.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Abe
Valued Contributor II

If you're using the Intel Edition ModelSim software, you need not compile the FPGA device libraries again. All you need to do is to include them in the vsim command using the -L <lib_name> .

altera_mf for VHDL

and altera_mf_ver for Verilog

For ex,

vsim -work ... -L altera_mf_ver include any other device specific libraries this way. On the safer side you could add both VHDL as well as Verilog libraries to the simulation using the -L altera_mf -L altera_mf_ver ... options and try.

david_
Beginner

Hi Abe,

Great thank you for the help, I have followed your advice and it is working now. I am not using Intel Edition, so used the following code:

vlog -work altera_mf_ver $(QUARTUS_HOME)/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.v   vlib altera_mf vmap altera_mf altera_mf vcom -work altera_mf -2008 -explicit "$(QUARTUS_HOME)/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf_components.vhd" vcom -work altera_mf -2008 -explicit "$(QUARTUS_HOME)/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.vhd"   vsim -L altera_mf_ver -64 -voptargs="+acc" -lib ${library} ${top_level} +UVM_TESTNAME=${test_case} +UVM_VERBOSITY=${uvm_verbosity} -do "do wave.tcl; run -all"

David

0 Kudos