Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Modelsim-Altera Starter Edition on Ubuntu

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have installed Quartus 10.1 on an Ubuntu 10.04 system. 

After this I have succesfully installed the Starter Editions of Modelsim-Altera 

I have installed versions 6.6c and 6.6d Service packs 

I have been trying to simulate a simple project using modelsim. 

The project is successfully synthesized. However during the simulation phase i get the following error: 

Info: Starting NativeLink simulation with ModelSim-Altera software Sourced NativeLink script /home/chiraag/altera/10.1/quartus/common/tcl/internal/nativelink/modelsim.tcl Error: Can't launch the ModelSim-Altera software -- the path to the location of the executables for the ModelSim-Altera software were not specified or the executables were not found at specified path. Error: You can specify the path in the EDA Tool Options page of the Options dialog box or using the Tcl command set_user_option. Error: NativeLink simulation flow was NOT successful  

I believe I have set the correct path on the EDA Tool Options page. I have set this: 

/home/chiraag/altera/10.1/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem  

However the error persists. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are You sure, that modelsim starter edition works on linux?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

They do have installers for linux on the download page. So I guess it does work on Linux 

EDIT: 

I am able to run modelsim by browsing to the directory and then using the ./vsim command. 

So modelsim seems to be installed right. Not sure why it cant pickup the settings from quartus though.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition is supported on Linux, i use it on Fedora 13 

if you want to double check the settings try: 

$ cat ~/.altera.quartus/quartus2.ini  

look for [EDA_Tool_Paths 10.0]
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I checked the file. It doesn't have the required paths. 

Can you post the relevant section from your file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

EDA_TOOL_ENABLE_NATIVELINK_FOR_SYNPLIFY_NODE_LOCKED_LICENSE = off EDA_TOOL_PATH_MODELSIM_ALTERA = /path_to_install/altera/10.1/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem

0 Kudos