Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Module Declaration Question for Transceiver Design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I was hoping someone could answer a fairly simple question. Here is my module declaration code for a transceiver design: 

module xcvr_prbs ( 

//inputs 

input wire phy_mgmt_clk, 

input wire pll_ref_clk, 

input wire reset_reset, 

input wire reconfig_reset, 

input wire rx_serial_data, 

input wire rx_seriallpbken, 

input wire xgmii_tx_clk, 

input wire rx_serial_data_0, 

input wire xgmii_tx_dc_0[71:0], 

output wire xgmii_rx_clk, 

output wire rx_data_ready, 

output wire xgmii_rx_dc_0[71:0], 

output wire tx_serial_data_0, 

//ouputs 

output wire errorFlag, 

output wire [100:0] errorCount, 

output wire tx_serial_data, 

output wire tx_ready, 

output wire rx_ready, 

output wire [63:0] prbs_data_rx_top 

); 

My question is, how do I know whether to put input/output wires and registers inside the module parenthesis, or outside the parenthesis? I have been following some example transceiver designs and in those examples, some wires are declared inside and some outside. I am assuming the ones declared inside the module also need pin assignments. Is that correct? 

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are two styles of module header declarations; one from Verilog-1995 where you might have to mention a port name up to three times, and the one you are using from Verilog-2001 and later where everything is in one place.  

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12229477/why-are-output-nets-also-required-to-be-redeclared-as-either-wire-or-reg
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the response. However, in my design, there are single declarations of different variables, not multiple declarations of the same variable; some are declared inside the parenthesis, some are outside. At least, this is what the native phy example I am following does and I am not sure how to decide what variables to declare inside and outside the module declaration.

0 Kudos