Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Newbie learning Verilog - how to program a device in Quartus II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am trying to learn Verilog / VHDL with a BeMicroSDK using Quartus II, and trying to compile program. The programs are from a forum post here that aims to blink LEDs. 

Using Quartus I have started a new project with the proper device setup, and then created two sv program. They all compiled fine, and then I started the "Programmer" trying to load the program. I can see the "sof" file being ready to program, and the Programmer detected my BeMicroSDK. I clicked the "Start" button and after some time the Progress box on the top right hand corner goes green saying 100% successful. However, my stick is showing only LED 1,2,4,6,7,8 on, and then nothing else, no LED is blinking... Then I pushed the RCFG button on it, and the old demo program (temperature read out binary) ran. So I suspect did I really programmed the BeMicro? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A typical newbie mistake would be to blink the LED at some frequency so fast that the human eye can not see. Or, possibly a mistake in your pin assignments. 

Start by trying to just change the LED's with a fixed pattern (ON-OFF-ON.....) to see your first program have some effect on the hardware.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Make sure that you have a proper clock running as well ;-)

0 Kudos