Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

No option to create a symbol file from vhdl file

VHDL_User
Beginner

I'm trying to create a BDF file and add in symbols created by multiple vhdl files that I've already completed. My blank BDF file is already added into the project directory that I'm working in. If I open one of the VHDL files that I'd like to add into my BDF file, I select File->Create/Update. When in that, all the options are grayed out and there is no option to select "Create symbol files from current file". Another note to add is that I try to select this after I've successfully compiled and synthesized the project. Why is this option not available for me to select? Is there a new way to create these symbol files in the most recent Quartus update? I'm using Quartus Prime Pro 21.3. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Unfortunately, symbol creation from HDL is not supported in Pro for some reason.

If you happen to still have Standard installed, you can create the .bsf there and then bring it into Pro.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Unfortunately, symbol creation from HDL is not supported in Pro for some reason.

If you happen to still have Standard installed, you can create the .bsf there and then bring it into Pro.

VHDL_User
Beginner

This is quite unfortunate to hear. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos