Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16558 Discussions

Opencl complie Error: Evaluation of Tcl script import_compile.tcl unsuccessful

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

when I complie my kernel, export "Error: Compiler Error, not able to generate hardware". When I chaeck the file "quartus_sh_complie.log", it only says"Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script import_compile.tcl unsuccessful", how do I know what causees the error and how to change my kernel? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please post the full compile log and also the version of Quartus (quartus_map --version) and AOC (aoc --version) you are using alongside with your board model and BSP version. 

Such error is generally caused by discrepancy between version of Quartus and AOC or between version of AOC and BSP.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Please post the full compile log and also the version of Quartus (quartus_map --version) and AOC (aoc --version) you are using alongside with your board model and BSP version. 

Such error is generally caused by discrepancy between version of Quartus and AOC or between version of AOC and BSP. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for reply! "quartus_map --version" cannot printf out quartus version. Most of time, complie result is right, so I think it's not the mismatch of Quartus and AOC version.Is it right? Because complie file has 14259 rows, so I cannot post it. 

At the end of file,it only says: 

"Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script import_compile.tcl unsuccessful 

Error: Quartus Prime Compiler Database Interface was unsuccessful. 1 error, 0 warnings 

Error: Peak virtual memory: 3734 megabytes 

Error: Processing ended: Tue Apr 18 07:42:37 2017 

Error: Elapsed time: 05:29:19 

Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 12:40:38"  

I don't find any error message in other place of the file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Attach the log as a file, you don't have to copy/paste it into the thread (use the "Advanced" reply mode). The actual error is somewhere else and you have to provide all of the file so that we can find it. 

Also what message do you get when you run "quartus_map --version"? Maybe quartus_map is not in your PATH and that is why it doesn't work? You should either add it to your PATH or use the full path to the binary. 

Don't forget to provide the AOC version and your board BSP version.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Attach the log as a file, you don't have to copy/paste it into the thread (use the "Advanced" reply mode). The actual error is somewhere else and you have to provide all of the file so that we can find it. 

Also what message do you get when you run "quartus_map --version"? Maybe quartus_map is not in your PATH and that is why it doesn't work? You should either add it to your PATH or use the full path to the binary. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

I encounter the same problem today. 

quartus_map --version 

Version 13.0.0 Build 156 04/24/2013 SJ Full Version 

aoc --version 

Version 16.0.2 Build 222 

I have multiple Quartus versions installed on my Windows 7 64-bit OS. Does anyone knows how should I change the quartus_map version on Windows 7?  

BTW, the current environment works for me for a long time. But when i trying to compile a new design today, I received this error. 

Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is really strange if you can actually compile using such vastly different versions of Quartus and AOC. Do you have multiple versions of Quartus installed on your machine? If that is the case, you can change the default version by modifying the PATH variable from the Environmental Variables. If not, make sure to install the latest versions from Altera's website and then correct your environmental variables. Make sure to fully read this document: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/aocl_getting_started.pdf
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This is really strange if you can actually compile using such vastly different versions of Quartus and AOC. Do you have multiple versions of Quartus installed on your machine? If that is the case, you can change the default version by modifying the PATH variable from the Environmental Variables. If not, make sure to install the latest versions from Altera's website and then correct your environmental variables. Make sure to fully read this document: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/aocl_getting_started.pdf 

--- Quote End ---  

I have installed the latest version of AOC from Altera and set all the related user environment variables to point to that version. I attached my compilation log.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The log doesn't say much in your case, it seems Quartus is failing when it is trying to import the base design from the BSP. Is your BSP up-to-date? What board and BSP version are you using?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

When I run "quartus_map --version", it shows "bash: quartus_map: command not found...".How to add it to my PATH?  

Thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When I run "quartus_map --version", it shows "bash: quartus_map: command not found...".How to add it to my PATH?  

Thank you! 

--- Quote End ---  

Add this to your bashrc (Replace *install_folder* with correct path): 

PATH=$PATH:*install_folder*/quartus/bin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for the quick reply. The board I'm using is Gidel Proc10A X115 which has an Arria 10 FPGA on. The BSP is the most update to date one which supports the Quartus Prime version 16.0.2, which matches the Quartus version I'm using.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you for the quick reply. The board I'm using is Gidel Proc10A X115 which has an Arria 10 FPGA on. The BSP is the most update to date one which supports the Quartus Prime version 16.0.2, which matches the Quartus version I'm using. 

--- Quote End ---  

Does this issue happen with all of your kernels or just some? If it happens with all, you should probably contact Gidel since there might be some issue with their BSP. If it is just some kernels, can you also post the kernel compilation log if it exists? It is named *kernel_name*.log?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Does this issue happen with all of your kernels or just some? If it happens with all, you should probably contact Gidel since there might be some issue with their BSP. If it is just some kernels, can you also post the kernel compilation log if it exists? It is named *kernel_name*.log? 

--- Quote End ---  

I checked the "kernel_name".log file, but couldn't find any error message.  

I actually solved the problem but deleting the previously generated Quartus project. It seems that a previous build error existed in the generated Quartus project failed all of my later complies.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

AOC version: 16.0.2 

Quartus: 16.0 

board BSP version: 1.0 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your compilation log looks very strange, there are lots of warning in it that I have never seen before, especially the parts that complain about some files having been edited in Quartus 15.0. Have you tried completely removing the OpenCL project folder as yangchen4623 suggested and then running your AOC command? 

Also please mention your board name. Your BSP version should be something that matches some version of Quartus (like 14.0/15.0/16.0, etc). You might be using a BSP that is not compatible with the version of Quartus/AOC you are using.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Your compilation log looks very strange, there are lots of warning in it that I have never seen before, especially the parts that complain about some files having been edited in Quartus 15.0. Have you tried completely removing the OpenCL project folder as yangchen4623 suggested and then running your AOC command? 

Also please mention your board name. Your BSP version should be something that matches some version of Quartus (like 14.0/15.0/16.0, etc). You might be using a BSP that is not compatible with the version of Quartus/AOC you are using. 

--- Quote End ---  

Before I complie my opencl kernel, I ofen remove directory "./bin". 

The board is Xeon+FPGA MCP, FPGA为GX1150. 

Most of the time, complie result is rights. 

If I complie several kernels concurrently, will they affect to each other?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My develop environment installed according to the documentation 《Intel® Xeon® + FPGA Intel® Software Development Kit (SDK) for OpenCL™/Board Support Package (BSP) Installation Guide – NDA》.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, that changes everything. The Xeon+FPGA platform works in a completely different manner and all info and documentation about it is only available to the limited number of people who have access to the systems. Since those systems are largely a work-in-progress, I would expect a lot of bugs. 

I am afraid your log isn't saying much, it is just breaking in some part of the process without much useful ino. Intel/Altera probably has a specific support for these systems. I strongly suggest contacting them directly, they might have a new BSP or something that might fix your problem. 

Also regarding parallel compilation, since the compilation process is very memory-intensive, performing multiple compilations in parallel would need a very large amount of memory and if your system runs out of memory, one or more of the compilations will crash. Expect to need at least 40 GB of memory per compilation for Arria 10. Still, in such cases, there is always a message in the log that says the crash has happened due to lack of memory, while such error does not exist in your log. If the compilation of the same kernel always crashes in the same place with the same error, then this is some issue in the software, but if the crashes are random, this could very well be due to lack of resources due to parallel compilation or some other transient issue.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Well, that changes everything. The Xeon+FPGA platform works in a completely different manner and all info and documentation about it is only available to the limited number of people who have access to the systems. Since those systems are largely a work-in-progress, I would expect a lot of bugs. 

I am afraid your log isn't saying much, it is just breaking in some part of the process without much useful ino. Intel/Altera probably has a specific support for these systems. I strongly suggest contacting them directly, they might have a new BSP or something that might fix your problem. 

Also regarding parallel compilation, since the compilation process is very memory-intensive, performing multiple compilations in parallel would need a very large amount of memory and if your system runs out of memory, one or more of the compilations will crash. Expect to need at least 40 GB of memory per compilation for Arria 10. Still, in such cases, there is always a message in the log that says the crash has happened due to lack of memory, while such error does not exist in your log. If the compilation of the same kernel always crashes in the same place with the same error, then this is some issue in the software, but if the crashes are random, this could very well be due to lack of resources due to parallel compilation or some other transient issue. 

--- Quote End ---  

Ok, thanks for your reply!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

well, I have the same problem, 

please, can someone help me? 

aoc --version 

Altera SDK for OpenCL, 64-Bit Offline Compiler 

Version 16.0.2 Build 222 

Copyright (C) 2016 Altera Corporation 

quartus_map --version 

Quartus Prime Analysis & Synthesis 

Version 16.0.2 Build 222 07/20/2016 SJ Pro Edition 

Copyright (C) 1991-2016 Altera Corporation. All rights reserved. 

aoc --list-boards 

Board list: 

alaric_v2_es_hpc 

Error: Compile Error, no able to genertae hardware 

in quartus_sh_compile.log  

Info: Using INI file ........./helloWorld/hello_world/bin/hello_world/quartus.ini 

Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script import_compile.tcl unsuccessful 

Error: Quartus Prime Compiler Database Interface was unsuccessful. 1 error, 0 warnings 

Error: Peak virtual memory: 1433 megabytes 

Error: Processing ended: Mon Jul 10 23:25:12 2017 

Error: Elapsed time: 00:18:09 

Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:25:02
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@tury, it is best if you start your own thread. You should attach the full "quartus_sh_compile.log" file. Is your BSP compatible with the version of Quartus you are using?

0 Kudos