Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Platform designer 21.3 pro missing clock_source block

AlexBeasley
New Contributor I

Hi there, 

I am using Intel Quartus Prime Pro 21.3 and I'm attempting to create a NIOS II subsystem through platform designer 21.3. The problem I have is that there is no clock_source block so I can't create a clock for my system. All I have access to is a clock_bridge (totally not what I want). Does anyone know where the clock_source block has gone? Or what I need to do in order to import the ip core on its own?

Thanks 

Alex 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

It doesn't exist in Pro.  It was broken up into the clock and reset bridge IPs, which behave exactly the same.  If you have a Standard design that does include the clock source component, it will still work in Pro, but you can't create a new clock source component in Pro.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

It doesn't exist in Pro.  It was broken up into the clock and reset bridge IPs, which behave exactly the same.  If you have a Standard design that does include the clock source component, it will still work in Pro, but you can't create a new clock source component in Pro.

0 Kudos
AlexBeasley
New Contributor I

Hi there, 

Thanks for your quick response. So, potentially silly question incoming, but if I have a NIOS II design and I'm using a clock and reset bridge, what frequency clock should be passed to the NIOS II core? (I did try with a 50MHz clock being passed through the FPGA fabric via a clock bridge into a NIOS II design, however this failed when attempting to program the NIOS)

Thanks 
Alex 

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Whatever clock speeds that are supported by Nios should work.  I don't know them off-hand.  Whether it's the clock source component or the clock bridge, it's basically just wires distributing the clock to components in the system, so it should not affect the operation of components in the system if you change the IP to the clock bridge.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Do you still encounter the issue?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Not sure if this issue is solved? Kindly expect some late reply as the owner is taking some leave until next week.

0 Kudos
AlexBeasley
New Contributor I

Yes this is resolved, I accepted one of the previous answers 

Thanks 

0 Kudos