Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Platform designer GUI display is erratic for 1 particular qsys project file

Chris2000
Novice

qsys.JPGI'm running Quartus 18.1 standard on Windows 10.

When I open 1 particular qsys project file, Platform designer appears to be running, but the screen updates intermittently and only around the mouse cursor. Menus do not disappear after moving the mouse away.

I installed Quartus 17.1, but had the same problem.

There is no problem with other project files.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Chris2000
Novice

I tried opening this file on another computer and am having the same display problem.

0 Kudos
MPels
Beginner

I have the same problem with Quartus 18.1 on a MSI laptop with a Nvidia GTX1660Ti graphics card. My issue though differs from yours as follows:

1. Platform Designer does this with all qsys projects.
  2. The problem manifests on my laptop screen when I connect a second monitor.
  3. When I move the Platform Designer GUI window to the second monitor, the problem initially disappears on that monitor but reappears later.
  4. The Quartus Prime Standard Edition GUI window has no problem on either of my monitors.
  5. Temporarily unplugging the 2nd monitor HDMI cable and reattaching it, sometimes resolves the problem but only for a short duration or until I recompile the qsys design and the scripts start running in the pop-up window.
  6. The issue manifests when the mouse pointer crosses the panel border lines inside the Platform Designer GUI (the ones you use to adjust panel window sizes) or touches the U-D/L-R scroll tabs.
  7. When the mouse is dragged from R-L or L-R across the vertical panel window borders, this does not seem to occur.
0 Kudos
Chris2000
Novice

I also have a laptop with a 2nd monitor, but the problem occurs on both monitors and with the external monitor disconnected.

I have Intel UHD Graphics 630 & NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

An FAE suggested changing the setting as shown to fix issues with 4K displays, but this didn't resolve my problem.

0 Kudos
MPels
Beginner

I tried the FAE suggestion in your reply and it also does not resolve my problem.

0 Kudos
MPels
Beginner

I tried the FAE suggestion by applying the setting to 14 of the Platform Designer executable files in the "C:\intelFPGA\18.1\quartus\sopc_builder\bin" directory, and I haven't yet seen the problem manifest again. As the fault is intermittent in my case, it may be too soon to say for sure. I will reply to this post again if the problem decides to reappear.

The files I applied the setting to, are the following:

Annotation 2020-02-13 093440.jpg

0 Kudos
MPels
Beginner

I can confirm that this did not solve my problem.

0 Kudos