Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15044 Discussions

Problems running sdram pin assignment tcl script on Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I'm generating a HPS setup for a Cyclone V device. When I run the auto generated script soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl it fails. 

In Quartus command-line the failure is 

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 764: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed! while executing "exec $cmd -t $project_name " invoked from within "if { ! || ($quartus(nameofexecutable) != "quartus_sta" && $quartus(nameofexecutable) != "quartus_map") } { pos..." (file "/srv/home/prosjekt/digtap/FPGA/atlas-soc-ghrd/ATLAS_SOC_GHRD/soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl" line 110) ------------------------------------------------ Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script /srv/home/prosjekt/digtap/FPGA/atlas-soc-ghrd/ATLAS_SOC_GHRD/soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl unsuccessful Error: Quartus Prime Shell was unsuccessful. 1 error, 0 warnings Error: Peak virtual memory: 980 megabytes Error: Processing ended: Wed Mar 23 00:20:05 2016 Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:15 Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:15  

The Quartus GUI fails with the same message. Please notice the "inconsistency detected" note at the top. I get this from every quartus command being run from the command line, not just for tcl scripts. I'm running 64-bit ubuntu 15.10. 

Because of this error, I cannot trust the Quartus toolchain on Linux.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Ubuntu is not a supported OS for Quartus. I've seen posts elsewhere in the forum that show how you can get it to work by installing additional libraries. Look around a bit. This may or my not have anything to do with why you are having this problem.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hmm, I see now that the only supported distro for Linux is Red Hat Linux. I don't remember last time I saw someone use that. Its on 44th place of distrowatch.com lists. 

Does this imply that other rpm-based distro, such as Fedora, will work better? I wonder if Fedoras system setup and libraries and such still resebles RedHat.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Red Hat is more an enterprise OS for servers. In that community is is popular. A Linux distribution is more than just a kernel version and a packaging system. Compatibility has a lot to do with the libraries that are installed.  

Instead of Red Hat, i've used Centos which is a free version that closely tracks Red Hat Releases.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm generating a HPS setup for a Cyclone V device. When I run the auto generated script soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl it fails. 

In Quartus command-line the failure is 

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 764: _dl_close: Assertion `map->l_init_called' failed! while executing "exec $cmd -t $project_name " invoked from within "if { ! || ($quartus(nameofexecutable) != "quartus_sta" && $quartus(nameofexecutable) != "quartus_map") } { pos..." (file "/srv/home/prosjekt/digtap/FPGA/atlas-soc-ghrd/ATLAS_SOC_GHRD/soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl" line 110) ------------------------------------------------ Error (23031): Evaluation of Tcl script /srv/home/prosjekt/digtap/FPGA/atlas-soc-ghrd/ATLAS_SOC_GHRD/soc_system/synthesis/submodules/hps_sdram_p0_pin_assignments.tcl unsuccessful Error: Quartus Prime Shell was unsuccessful. 1 error, 0 warnings Error: Peak virtual memory: 980 megabytes Error: Processing ended: Wed Mar 23 00:20:05 2016 Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:15 Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:15  

The Quartus GUI fails with the same message. Please notice the "inconsistency detected" note at the top. I get this from every quartus command being run from the command line, not just for tcl scripts. I'm running 64-bit ubuntu 15.10. 

Because of this error, I cannot trust the Quartus toolchain on Linux. 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm having the same error and can't find any solution. I've wasted the whole Sunday trying to work this arround, does anybody have a solution? 

EDIT: never mind, I was doing the whole thing wrong. I had the wrong TOP module.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I still have the same problem on Ubuntu 16.04 with Quartus 17.0.2 unfortunately. 

What distro do you guys use for desktop use? Centos is mentioned above, which version? 

*edit* Perhaps one can experiment with running Quartus in Docker to have the proper library environment which it apparently relies on? I see that there actually exists a few containers with quartus.