Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16703 Discussions

Processing images in SRAM(DE2 board)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I've been having some problems trying to process images that I load in the SRAM of the DE2 board, what I do is that I use the DE2 control panel in order to easily load the greyscale raw data of the image that works just fine, to do that I need to first use the programmer in Quartus II to load the file DE2_USB_API.sof.  

But then after loading the image I need to read it using another program I made using VHDL, so I need to use the programmer again to load another .sof file to the board, by doing this I have found that the SRAM is deleted and therefore I cant read any images because there is no image to read. 

So I was wondering if there is a way to load 2 .sof files at the same time, I tried using the Convert Programming files tool but the .pof files generated cant seem to be programmed into my board using JTAG since I dont have any of the supported devices, the FPGA I'm using the EP2C35F67C26 Cyclone II. If this is not possible I would really appreciate if someone knows a solution to this problem I have. 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same situation as you. I could not read the data store in sram to process. Do you solve your problem? 

Thanks you
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

how to add sram in de2 board in sopc? i cant find it in sopc. pls help. thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your approach of loading the memory with the control panel and then loading in your own design should be fine. 

Are you powering down the board before loading your design? Perhaps the problem is with your sram controller logic. Maybe it's doing a clear or a reset perhaps? 

Have you considered storing your image data in on-chip memory and either using the initialization file (when using it as an avalon component) or loading your design and trying the in-system memory content editor? 

Another approach might be to use the eeprom instead of the sram.
0 Kudos