Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus 19.2 Ubuntu 16.04 stuck generating HDL

RBish3
Novice

For some reason Quartus keeps getting stuck generating HDL - the progress bar states "Done reading input file" and the last message in the log is an info message reading "Finished: Create HDL design files for synthesis". I can't shut the window, if I hit the stop button it greys out and nothing happens - all the while a background Java process is still doing *something* on one of the CPU cores.

This is highly frustrating when trying to generate a design and there are no apparent error messages to detail what is going amiss.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RBish3
Novice

I have found the issue - the HDL generation process is munching RAM - my system is only running with 16GB. When the Java process runs out of RAM it generates a log file in the project directory stating as such but Quartus just freezes and does nothing. Should probably have a hook to Quartus to notify the user of the problem and shut down smoothly.

Kenny_Tan

Hi, are you using Quartus version pro edition or standard edition? what device that you were using?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

any update?

0 Kudos
RBish3
Novice

Pro 19.2 - Arria 10 GX Dev Kit is my target. I can confirm that with a system RAM upgrade there are no further issues.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Are you using windows system? Windows 10? If you press ctrl +alt+delete would be able to close(end task) the quartus?

0 Kudos
RBish3
Novice

Ubuntu 16.04. I can kill Quartus and related Java processes yes. I imagine the result would be essentially the same on Windows if the system runs out of RAM.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

I will file enhancement to our engineering to have an error if the ram is not sufficient. Thnaks

0 Kudos