Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Quartus FPGA Development Software 22.1 Lite crashes in Signal Tap

WShep1
New Contributor II

I am using Quartus 22.1 Lite software.  I has been working fine until I try to set the Signal Tap Trigger flow control to "State-base".  When I set it to State-base instead of Sequential, the entire program crashes.  This does not happen with Quartus 20.1 or 20.1.1 .  Is there a fix for this or do I need to just use one of the earlier versions of Quartus???

0 Kudos
24 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Does it happen with every .stp file?  If not, maybe the one you are using is corrupted.

If it happens with all .stp files, it could be a bad installation of Quartus.  Try an uninstall and reinstall.

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

This problem occurs without a *.stp file being loaded.  All I have to do is open up Signal Tap from the Quartus Tools Menu and then go to the "Target Flow box" and select "State Based" and then both the Signal Tap and the Quartus programs crash and go away.  I don't have to load a *.stp file to get this to happen. 

I have loaded Quartus Lite 22.1 on another W10 computer and encountered the same problem as on my main computer.  I have also found the same problem with Quartus Lite 21.1.  However Quartus Lite 20.1.1 works OK and doesn't have the problem.

As the program is crashing a blank "Quartus Prime Problem Report" box appears momentarily and then goes away as the program crashes.

Hence to summarize, I have seen the problem with two versions of Quartus Lite (22.1 & 21.1) on two different W10 machines.  There is something about trying to get Signal Tap to work with a State Based Trigger that makes it go bonkers on at least two different W10 computers.

Am I the only person to experience this problem??

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

I meant to say "Trigger Flow Control" box not "Target Flow" Box

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Try to delete the stp and create a new one. Run and see if this issue still persist.

Anyway is there any error message showed by the Quartus when it is crash?

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

This problem occurs without a *.stp file being loaded.  All I have to do is open up Signal Tap from the Quartus Tools Menu and then go to the "Target Flow box" and select "State Based" and then both the Signal Tap and the Quartus programs crash and go away.  I don't have to load a *.stp file to get this to happen. 

I have loaded Quartus Lite 22.1 on another W10 computer and encountered the same problem as on my main computer.  I have also found the same problem with Quartus Lite 21.1.  However Quartus Lite 20.1.1 works OK and doesn't have the problem.

As the program is crashing a blank "Quartus Prime Problem Report" box appears momentarily and then goes away as the program continues to crash.

Hence to summarize, I have seen the problem with two versions of Quartus Lite (22.1 & 21.1) on two different W10 machines.  There is something about trying to get Signal Tap to work with a State Based Trigger that makes it go bonkers on at least two different W10 computers.

Am I the only person to experience this problem??

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

I meant to say "Trigger Flow Control" box not "Target Flow" Box

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

When you choose Signal Tap from the Tools menu, assuming your project is already open, that's opening the existing .stp file for your project, so you are in a .stp at that point.  Everything you do in Signal Tap is in a .stp file.

Go to the File menu -> New in Quartus to create a brand new .stp.  See if you still have the issue there.

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

This all happens when Quartus is opened and then Signal Tap is opened without opening a project.  Hence, there is no active *.stp file at the time of the crash.  The sequence of events is:

1. Open Quartus

2. Open Signal Tap

3. Change the "Trigger Flow Control" box to State-Based

4. Crash

It also happens in the same way if a project is open with an active *.stp file.  Like I said previously 20.1.1 Lite works and both 21.1 and 22.1 Lite crash.

Any ideas??  

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Choosing Signal Tap from the Tools menu, even if there is no project, creates a new unsaved file (stp1.stp by default).

But in any case, not sure what to say at this point.  I've never experienced an issue with this feature.  Unlikely but possible: two bad installations of Quartus.

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response.  What version of Quartus are you using?  I see the problem with 221 and 21.1 Lite on two different W10 computers.  20.1.1 Lite  does not have the problem.  Since I don't have a paid license, I can't check it with any version requiring a paid license.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I've used all different versions over the years (paid and unpaid), including the latest, and never saw this.

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your responses on this problem.  Since this problem doesn't occur in Quartus 20.1.1 Lite, but does occur in Quartus 21.1 and 22.1 Lite, I wonder if you have tried this in either 21.1 or 22.1?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Is there any error message for the crash reported? Or it just crash and hang forever?

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

Thanks for your response. 

As the program is crashing a BLANK "Quartus Prime Problem Report" box appears momentarily and then goes away as the program continues to crash.  When the program crashes, it just goes away.  It does not "hang".  It can be restarted with the same result over and over again.  Even if I Reboot the computer and try again, I get the same result.

The sequence of events to cause the problem is:

1. Open Quartus

2. Open Signal Tap

3. Change the "Trigger Flow Control" box to State-Based

4. Crash

This problem has also been observed by the local Arrow FAE, Robert Polk of Phoenix Arizona, with his copy of Quartus Lite 21.1.  As a result he has opened a Case with Intel - IPS has Created Case 00774316 - ARROW ELECTRONICS, INC - Quartus Lite STP [5003b00001jXjflx0]

Do you have a copy of either Quartus Lite 22.1 or 21.1 that you might try to see if you get the same result?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

William,

Yes, I can see the issue, From the IPS, I can see the agent is requesting small design that replicate the issue and still pending from Robert. May I know if it is possible for you to attach it here for me to observe the behavior? This might be a valid bug but I need to check it.

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

You don't need to load a design to observe the crash.  All you need to do is follow these steps;

1. Open Quartus

2. Open Signal Tap from "Tools" Menu

3. Change the "Trigger Flow Control" box to State-Based in Signal Tap

4. Immediate Crash

It is not necessary to load a design to get this to occur.

Bill

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Noted. Will get back to you Will.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

I am checking this with developer and will let you know if there is any update.

May I know how urgent this issue is? Does it completely roadblock your development?

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

Since this problem doesn't seem to be a problem in Quartus Lite 20.1.1, I am using it instead of 22.1.  Hence, I am able to proceed with my development.  However, as always, I want to be using the latest release of Quartus Lite.

Thank you for your assistance with this problem.  I am glad to see that it is not my computer causing the problem and that I am not the only one to be witnessing this issue.

Bill

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Bill,

I'm checking this with developer. Will let you know once there is any update.

Seem for now you have to use 20.1.1 Lite as I am getting feedback for this.

0 Kudos