Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Quartus II: Error(10777)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello, I'm getting an error: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error (10777): VHDL error at part1.vhd(47): expected an architecture identifier in index 

--- Quote End ---  

and when I highlight this error and go to the quartus documentation, the only information that I get is: 

--- Quote Start ---  

CAUSE: Quartus II Integrated Synthesis generated the specified error message for the specified location in a Design File.  

ACTION: Fix the problem identified by the message text. A future version of the Quartus II software will provide more extensive Help for this error message.  

--- Quote End ---  

I've attached part1.vhd and the components related to it. 

If someone could please help me understand this problem, I'd really appreciate it. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, The issue is that Quartus II is seeing your code as an array operation rather than as a component instance as there is no "port map" string.  

cnt16 : TFFcounter16bit(SW1, KEY0, SW0, Qout); 

Try altering your syntax to: 

cnt16 : TFFcounter16bit port map(SW1, KEY0, SW0, Qout); 

This will also need to be done for the instances of HEX: 

seg0 : HEX port map (Qout(3 downto 0), HEX0);
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Wow! Can't believe i didn't catch that! thanks for your help! :) I spent hours, maybe even a whole day trying to figure that one out.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I had the same [childish] issue with error message: 

[Synth 8-1977] expected an architecture identifier in index 

Since there was no hit on search for this error code, I'm hereby attaching it. 

Port mapping helps :p