Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

Quartus graphical toplevel(bdf) no error for missing source signal

Dirk3
Beginner

The compiler brings no error for exsisting signals, even if they have no source.

Is there an option to enable compiler errors for such a case, if signals have no source.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can you provide an example of what you are looking for?  If an input of something is not connected, the logic is usually optimized away if possible.  You can prevent this by creating a virtual pin assignment.

0 Kudos
Dirk3
Beginner

Thank you for the reply, 

the problem here was that the signal without source signal was not used, so it was not driving logic.

That's why the compiler saw no need to complain. That's now basicale fine for me.

I haven't checkt for warnings yet. I will do that.

It would be fine (even if the funktion ist ok) to recognize writing errors.

Your idea to use virtual pin assigments has maybe to much effort. If I understand correctly I would need to do that for all signals.

This are some hundred.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Most designs do not have hundreds of unused inputs.  Even if you set these I/O as ports in your top-level HDL, the Fitter will select temporary I/O pins to prevent logic from being optimized away.

If you really need to preserve all of those inputs and you have a list of them, you can easily copy and paste them into the To column in the Assignment Editor to create virtual pin assignments for each.  And of course, you only need a single assignment for a bus using wildcards.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you have any further update on this thread?

Best regards,
Sheng

0 Kudos