Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16737 Discussions

Quartus prime lite edition 20.1.1 gate level simulation

Siyeon
Beginner

I want to perform gate level simulation in Quartus Prime Lite Edition.

After selecting "Tools → Run simulation tool → gate level simulation" and viewing the ModelSim waveforms, I noticed that the data arrives exactly on the clock edges.

It seems like the electron movement time is not being considered. I'm wondering if I made a wrong option selection or if timing information is not supported in this version.

I tried running a simulation with the following simple Verilog code.

module seq_model(b,rstb,clk,a);
  output reg b;
  input      rstb, a, clk;
  always @(posedge clk or negedge rstb)
    if(!rstb)
      b <= 0;
    else
      b <= a;
endmodule

I generated and provided all input signals directly in ModelSim for the simulation. The "clk" signal repeats every 10 ns, the "rstb" signal is 0 from 0 to 15 ns and 1 afterward, and the "a" signal follows a clock-like pattern repeating every 20 ns.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What is your target device?  Most current devices do not support gate level simulation.  To verify devices these days, it's recommended to use RTL simulation along with the results from the Quartus timing analyzer.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Check this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683080/22-1/simulation-levels.html

Note: Gate-level timing simulation of an entire design can be slow and should be avoided. Gate-level timing simulation is supported only for the Arria® II GX/GZ, Cyclone® IV, MAX® II, MAX® V, and Stratix® IV device families.. Use Timing Analyzer static timing analysis rather than gate-level timing simulation.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Any further update or concern?

0 Kudos
Siyeon
Beginner
0 Kudos