Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Quartus programmer initcfg does not work when using a .cdf file

JHaye4
New Contributor I

When running the programmer from the command line with the command:

quartus_pgm --initcfg test.cdf

The FPGAs that I am programming do not get configured when the programmer exits like it says in the scripting manual.

I'm using Quartus Standard 17.1

0 Kudos
11 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

May i know what error code you get?

Also, you can only program POF, JAM, SOF and JBC with this command only.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/tclscriptrefmnl.pdf (Page 22)

0 Kudos
JHaye4
New Contributor I

Hi, thanks for your response @YuanLi_S_Intel,

I do not get an error code, the EPCQ device is programmed correctly with my .jic image. However, to get the FPGA to be configured, a power cycle is required, in contrary to what the scripting manual says about the --initcfg option.

It seems you can program .jic files using quartus_pgm, see this forum post: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Quartus-Prime-Software/Programming-JIC-files-using-qaurtus-pgm/td-p/13612

I am able to get the desired functionality by running the command like such:
quartus_pgm --mode=jtag --initcfg -o "IPV;file.jic@1"

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

I am glad that you can program JIC now and understand that we cannot use the command with a .cdf file.

Please let me know if any help needed. Else i will proceed with case closure. Thank You.

0 Kudos
JHaye4
New Contributor I

The issue is that the quartus_pgm command does not behave as described in the scripting manual when using a .cdf file. Surely an issue should be raised to at least investigate this behaviour and possibly to remedy this issue.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I think quartus_cpf should be used for cpf file instead of quartus_pgm. If you are saying quartus_pgm should be able to use with cpf. This is not the case.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/manual/tclscriptrefmnl.pdf (Page 76)

0 Kudos
JHaye4
New Contributor I

I want to use the quartus_pgm command with a chain description file (.cdf) as per this line in the scripting manual you attached:

quartus_pgm.png

The quartus_pgm command details the option --initcfg, the description of that option in the scripting manual you linked is:

quartus_pgm.png

So, when I run the command:
quartus_pgm --initcfg filename.cdf

I expect the configuration devices to automatically configure when the programmer is finished, but it does not happen.

0 Kudos
JHaye4
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Yes you are right. So you are able to execute the command successfully but the FPGA did not get configured?

Can you try to generate the CDF file from other quartus version?

0 Kudos
JHaye4
New Contributor I

Yes, I can execute the command and the programmer returns successfully. The bitstream does get loaded into the flash storage; however the FPGA is not configured automatically after the programmer is finished (as per the expected behaviour of the --initcfg option). To configure the FPGA I need to power cycle the board.

Generating the .cdf file from another version is no help to me as we are design frozen on this version.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

What about the MSEL pin? Have you changed that to Active Serial mode? What is the device you are using?

0 Kudos
Zak
New Contributor I

Hello, I have the same EXACT problem. 
I'm running in Active Serial mode with a EPCQ device.

The flash is programmed correctly. I'm using quartus_pgm command with a .cdf file generated with Quartus 20.1. This loads the Factory Default Enhanced SFL Image in the FPGA in order to program the flash memory.

Everything works except the --initcfg option of quartus_pgm.

I'm using a Cyclone V, 5CEFA4U19I7N.

Can you help me?

0 Kudos