Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16594 Discussions

Questa Tcl text output

MK13
Beginner

When working with ModelSim PE we use own Tcl scripts. These scripts print text messages to the ModelSim Transcript window by using the "puts" Tcl command.

However, when we use the same project and scripts in Questa Intel Edition, all text that is printed via "puts" does not appear in the Transcript window but in a separate CMD window, which opens when starting Questa.

Is it possible to direct the Tcl text output back to the Transcript window?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

May I know how do you run the script in Questa Intel Edition?

Could you try to put the script in a .do text file and run the command "do <filename>.do" in the transcript window?

0 Kudos
MK13
Beginner

Thanks for your reply!

I have attached a simple example.

It contains two very short scripts, test.tcl and test.do, each containing only one "puts" command. I called each of the scripts with "do" and with "source". In all four cases the text output appears in the CMD window. See the screenshot included in the attachment.

Maybe it has something to do with the message "couldn't open "transcript": permission denied" that appears after Questa is opened?

Why does Questa Intel need this CMD window? I don't know if Questa full version has it too, but we are working with ModelSim PE and Altera/Intel Edition for many years, and that window never appeared.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Are you running the tools in Window OS?

I only see this behavior in Window OS, whereas all the text output in CMD window in Linux OS. I will consult with engineer on this.

0 Kudos
MK13
Beginner

Yes, I am using Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I yet to get the response from the engineering. Allow me to follow up with them again.

May I know if this request urgent? Do you able to proceed with your project in the mean time?

0 Kudos
MK13
Beginner

That is no problem, I can proceed anyway while waiting for the answer from the engineering.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Unfortunately, this seems to be an expected behavior and it is not possible to direct the Tcl text output to the Transcript window. You might need to adapt to the new changes that comes with the new tool.

0 Kudos
MK13
Beginner

Thank you very much for the answer. Since I don't understand the sense of this additional CMD window, maybe it would be a possible improvement for a future version to redirect the output to the transcript window?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I can filed an enhancement request to the engineering team. Do note that this does not guarantee that the feature will be implemented. I believe your justification in requesting this feature is so that all the text are output in the transcript window for ease of use instead of looking at two window - cmd window and transcript window.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
MK13
Beginner

Thanks Richard, a request to the engineering team would be great! Yes, the desired behavior would be that all texts are output in the transcript window. And yes, I am aware that the request is no guarantee.

Best Regards, Matthias

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I have filed a case to the engineering team for assessment. If there is any further update, approved or not, I will notify the status here.

With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos