Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

RAM property help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have a question about using on chip ram. According to what I read from the quartus handbook, the port input (e.g. address, input data) to a RAM should be clocked in order to let software fit the design to the on chip memory (otherwise it may use logic cell to finish the fitting). [Correct me if I did not get this right] 

Now, I am doing some kind of sorting data of a true dual port ram, m1. What I am trying to do is input two addresses, adr1 & adr2 into m1, and get two data output, q1 & q2. Then I need to compare q1 & q2 and save each pair in ascending order to another true dual port ram, m2.  

example : m1 :[ 4, 1, 5 ,2] ==[take pair 1 and compare] ==> m2 : [1, 4, X, X] 

m1 : [4, 1, 5 ,2 ] ==[take pair 2 and compare] ==> m2 : [1, 4, 2, 5] 

etc.. 

I can make sure the input (address) of m1 is clocked, but I am not sure if the input of m2 (input data & address) is clocked in this case, since the output data from m1 have to be compared before input to m2.  

The following is the code I have write 

PROCESS (clk) VARIABLE rd1 : INTEGER := 0; VARIABLE rd2 : INTEGER := 1; VARIABLE wr1 : INTEGER := 0; VARIABLE wr2 : INTEGER := 1; BEGIN IF RISING_EDGE (CLK) THEN--------------------------------------- -- read data from m1---------------------------------------- IF (rd1 < 128) THEN M1RdenA <= '1'; M1RdenB <= '1'; M1AdrA <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (TO_UNSIGNED (rd1, 7)); M1AdrB <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (TO_UNSIGNED (rd2, 7)); rd1 := rd1 + 2; rd2 := rd2 + 2; END IF; -------------------------------------------- -- compare and save to m2 --------------------------------------------- IF (wr1 < 128) THEN IF (rd_delay < 3) THEN ------------ read delay of 3 clock cycle due to clocked input and output for m1 rd_delay := rd_delay + 1; ELSE IF (M1QA = M1QB) THEN M2WrenA <= '1'; M2WrenB <= '1'; M2AdrA <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (TO_UNSIGNED (wr1, 7)); M2AdrB <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (TO_UNSIGNED (wr2, 7)); M2DataA <= M1QA; M2DataB <= M1QB; wr1 := wr1 + 1; wr2 := wr2 + 1; ELSIF (M1QA < M1QB) THEN M2WrenA <= '1'; M2WrenB <= '1'; M2AdrA <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (TO_UNSIGNED (wr1, 7)); M2AdrB <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (TO_UNSIGNED (wr2, 7)); M2DataA <= M1QA; M2DataB <= M1QB; wr1 := wr1 + 1; wr2 := wr2 + 1; ELSIF (M1QA > M1QB) THEN M2WrenA <= '1'; M2WrenB <= '1'; M2AdrA <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (TO_UNSIGNED (wr2, 7)); M2AdrB <= STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (TO_UNSIGNED (wr1, 7)); M2DataA <= M1QA; M2DataB <= M1QB; wr1 := wr1 + 1; wr2 := wr2 + 1; END IF; END IF; END IF; END IF; END PROCESS;
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

They are clocked here, but this isn't your ram logic. What problems are you having with your code?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am writing a sorting network with 64 nodes and 5 RAMs in each node, but according to the compiling result, some of the RAMs is fitting using logic cell but not on chip memory which reduce the performance a lot. 

According to the compiling report, there is 64 RAMs which is compiled using logic cell. After I do some search about the problem, it seems the unclocked input may cause this problem, thus I just wondering if my compare and and input to m2 process have this unclocked problem. If not, I may need to look at other place of the code. 

Is there any way I can check which RAM is fitting to logic cell but not on chip memory? 

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You didn't show the ram code. If you are having problems inferring ram, you may be better off generating the ram from the megawizard/ip catalogue to ensure you alwaus get the ram you want. 

Without seeing the ram code, is impossible to say what's wrong with your code.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi&#65292; 

I use the wizard to generate most of the ram and port map to it. the only ram i did not directly use wizard is the one with mif file. There are 64 of them with different mif file. But I just copy the code and edit the mif file name only. 

LIBRARY ieee; USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; LIBRARY altera_mf; USE altera_mf.altera_mf_components.all; ENTITY mem_0 IS PORT ( address_a : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (6 DOWNTO 0); address_b : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (6 DOWNTO 0); clock : IN STD_LOGIC := '0'; data_a : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0); data_b : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0); rden_a : IN STD_LOGIC := '1'; rden_b : IN STD_LOGIC := '1'; wren_a : IN STD_LOGIC := '0'; wren_b : IN STD_LOGIC := '0'; q_a : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0) q_a : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0) ); END mem_0; ARCHITECTURE SYN OF mem_0 IS SIGNAL sub_wire0 : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0); SIGNAL sub_wire1 : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (31 DOWNTO 0); BEGIN q_a <= sub_wire0(31 DOWNTO 0); q_b <= sub_wire0(31 DOWNTO 0); altsyncram_component : altsyncram GENERIC MAP ( address_reg_b => "CLOCK0", clock_enable_input_a => "BYPASS", clock_enable_input_b => "BYPASS", clock_enable_output_a => "BYPASS", clock_enable_output_b => "BYPASS", indata_reg_b => "CLOCK0", init_file => "router_0_init_data.mif", ----------- I only edit this line for diff mif file name intended_device_family => "Stratix V", lpm_type => "altsyncram", numwords_a => 128, numwords_b => 128, operation_mode => "BIDIR_DUAL_PORT", outdata_aclr_a => "NONE", outdata_aclr_b => "NONE", outdata_reg_a => "CLOCK0", outdata_reg_b => "CLOCK0", power_up_uninitialized => "FALSE", ram_block_type => "M20K", read_during_write_mode_mixed_ports => "DONT_CARE", read_during_write_mode_port_a => "NEW_DATA_NO_NBE_READ", read_during_write_mode_port_b => "NEW_DATA_NO_NBE_READ", widthad_a => 7, widthad_b => 7, width_a => 32, width_b => 32, width_byteena_a => 1, width_byteena_b => 1, wrcontrol_wraddress_reg_b => "CLOCK0" ) PORT MAP ( address_a => address_a, address_b => address_b, clock0 => clock, data_a => data_a, data_b => data_b, rden_a => rden_a, rden_b => rden_b, wren_a => wren_a, wren_b => wren_b, q_a => sub_wire0, q_b => sub_wire1 ); END SYN;  

The above is what I have for the ram with .mif file. Then I use matlab to print these code 64 time with different mif file name. Is there anything wrong with it? 

Currently I am not sure which memory is fitted to logic cell, but other rams I have is directly port map to the wizard generated component, thus I think the above one might be the one using logic cell. 

Is there any way I can check which ram is generated by logic cell? Does Quartus have this function? 

many thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is your BLOCK RAM utilization on the device (you don't say which device/family you are using). Maybe your design is utilizing all the available BLOCK RAM?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the fitter report tyre is a section that lists resource usage by entity. You can use this to find it which block is using lutram rather than dedicated rams. But i suspect you have run out of ram is they are all generated from the mega Wizard.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use a stratix V chip. I only use around 2% of Block Memory according to the report. I will take a look of fitter report. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos