Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16609 Discussions

RTL Simulation of Simple AND Gate Error?

AAlmo3
Beginner

I am using Quartus II Web Edition ver. 13. I am just starting out. I am trying to simulate the following VHDL code:

-- Copyright (C) 1991-2013 Altera Corporation -- Your use of Altera Corporation's design tools, logic functions -- and other software and tools, and its AMPP partner logic -- functions, and any output files from any of the foregoing -- (including device programming or simulation files), and any -- associated documentation or information are expressly subject -- to the terms and conditions of the Altera Program License -- Subscription Agreement, Altera MegaCore Function License -- Agreement, or other applicable license agreement, including, -- without limitation, that your use is for the sole purpose of -- programming logic devices manufactured by Altera and sold by -- Altera or its authorized distributors. Please refer to the -- applicable agreement for further details.   -- PROGRAM "Quartus II 64-Bit" -- VERSION "Version 13.0.0 Build 156 04/24/2013 SJ Web Edition" -- CREATED "Fri Feb 08 14:19:36 2019"   LIBRARY ieee; USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all;   LIBRARY work;   ENTITY test IS PORT ( b : IN STD_LOGIC; a : IN STD_LOGIC; f : OUT STD_LOGIC ); END test;   ARCHITECTURE bdf_type OF test IS       BEGIN       f <= a AND b;     END bdf_type;

When I run an RTL simulation, I get the following output:

RTL Simulation Simple AND Gate Error.PNG

As a close-up of the waveform,

RTL Simulation Simple AND Gate Error (Closeup).png

You can see that when b = 1 and a = 0, f = 1. What??

This has also been a problem in my course lab with a slightly more complex circuit. The code seems fine but the RTL simulation is not matching up.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MuhammadAr_U_Intel
Hi, Indeed you r waveform looks incorrect, It seems strange for such a basic simulation results are in-correct. I tried to simulate the same code you pasted in Quartus 13.1/ Modelsim and did get correct results. Can you review your testbench setup and RTL ? Attached snapshot for reference. I used Nativelink to setup simulation as described in video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmVVXQchv2c On guidance for simulating the complete design, please refer to some useful videos/ documents listed at simulation support page. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/quartus-support.html Let me know if you are not able to get correct results. Thanks, Arslan
0 Kudos
AAlmo3
Beginner

I have followed the video, which was my setup already, and have gone through the "Intel Quartus Prime Standard Edition User Guide: Third-party Simulation" part of the User Guide but I am still getting the same results. I should also add that when I download the .sof file onto my DE0 FPGA board, it does indeed show correct results.

0 Kudos
MuhammadAr_U_Intel
posted a file.
0 Kudos
AAlmo3
Beginner

I've found that actually Reseting the simulation once or twice after simulating once (the button next to the simulation runtime textbox where you put how much time to run the simulation with the arrow pointing upwards) has solved the problem.

0 Kudos
MuhammadAr_U_Intel

What you are reporting is very strange. Are you saying AND gate is giving a wrong functional behavior however resetting the simulation resolves it ?

Could you share the example archive with me to look into this and see what actually is happening. You may share in private message to me.

Thanks,

Arslan

0 Kudos