Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16604 Discussions

Regenerate a new FPGA bin file with different .mif files - from .sof file ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have a design (on Stratix3) that contains several .mif files to initialize internal memories .  

With a small script I am able to rebuild a new FPGA bin file without doing the full P&R process , see below the commands I use : 

> quartus_cdb --update_mif ... 

> quartus_asm --read_settings_files=off --write_settings_files=off .... 

> quartus_cpf ....... 

The issue I have is that I have not saved the whole repertory (db and incremental_db) of Quartus for each P&R .. I only saved the project.sof file . 

with the above script I understood that the input files used to regenerate the new design file with updated memory content are the ones located in db and incremental_db memories and not the .sof file.. 

So I was wondering if it was possible to regenerate a design with .mif files modified from the .sof file ? 

Thank you for your feedback.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No. Altera don't publish the structure of the .sof files and they don't have any (published) tools that digest the files. Only the programming tools to use them. Yes, the info must be in there - it initialises the memories. However, fishing that info out is not practical. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos