Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15337 Discussions

Reversing a bus in SystemVerilog

AWilc1
Beginner

Is there a way to reverse a bus in systemverilog?

I am trying to do:

genvar j;

generate

for ( j=0 ; j < 256 ; j=j+1 ) begin

out[j] <= in[256-j];

end

endgenerate

But when I compile in ModelSim I get the errors:

** Error: (vlog-13069) near "[": syntax error, unexpected '['.

** Error: (vlog-13205) Syntax error found in the scope following 'out'. Is there a missing '::'?

I cannot see what is wrong here. Can anyone more familiar with SV see what is wrong?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
dave_59
Novice

The problem is with the procedural assignment statement inside your generate loop. Assuming out is declared as a wire, you need to change it to

for (genvar j=0j<256;j++) assign out[j] = in[256-j];

But there us a much simpler way of writing this without a loop using the streaming operator

assign out = {<<{in}};

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dave_59
Novice

The problem is with the procedural assignment statement inside your generate loop. Assuming out is declared as a wire, you need to change it to

for (genvar j=0j<256;j++) assign out[j] = in[256-j];

But there us a much simpler way of writing this without a loop using the streaming operator

assign out = {<<{in}};