Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

SOF & STP files -> how to know that STP is a part of SOF ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I have two files - SOF (programming file) and STP (SignalTap files). 

How can I verify that this STP file is a part of the SOF file (in another words that STP file was included into the project compilation)? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

.stp files are not "part" of the .sof. The .sof includes the bitstream for including a Signal Tap instance when you program the FPGA. The .stp file is used to configure (before compilation) and control (after compilation and device programming) that instance. 

So program your device with the .sof using the programmer or the JTAG configuration section of the .stp file. If the Signal Tap instance defined in the .stp is present in the programmed device, you'll see in the status at the top of the .stp file that you are ready for capture.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, let's say I have a single SOF file and many STP files. Let's say do not know what STP file was included to the project while its compilation and generation of the SOF file. What's the shortest way to know this?  

Could several STP files be included to the same project? As far as I understand, as many STP files as many SignalTap instances in the project... Correct? Could I all of them simultaneously during the debug cycle?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can enable only one Signaltap file for a Quartus project, it can optionally contain more than one Signaltap instance. 

There's nor unique ID identifying a Signaltap instance, it's apparently matched by the number of JTAG in- and output bits. Means you can't be absolutely sure that you are using the right .stp file, you need to remember it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, thanks

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Archiving compilation reports and .stp files along with programming file seems appropriate.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Actually, in the JTAG configuration section of a .stp file, you can "attach" a programming file (little paperclip icon) to check its compatibility with the current .stp file settings to make sure you can use the current settings with the current device programming.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is explicitly set by quartus in the qsf file (set_global_assignment -name USE_SIGTAP_FILE file_that_will_be_used_during_compilation.stp)

0 Kudos