Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Signal Tap - What the difference between 'Data Enable' to 'Storage Enable'

Amir3
New Contributor I

Hi,

What the difference between 'Data Enable' to 'Storage Enable' in Signal Tap?

note that I am running the Signal Tap according to the 'Conditional' configuration and I have set a Trigger. In my configuration both 'Data' and 'Storage' are marked in Checkbox's.

If I do not mark the 'Data' checkbox ('Storage' is still marked), will the information be recorded?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Data Enable means that when the trigger occurs, signal data for that tapped node will be stored in the buffer.  Storage Enable means that that signal will be used as part of the condition for qualifying what data samples will be stored in the buffer.  If Storage Enable is enabled and Data Enable is *not* enabled, that signal will *not* show up in the captured data.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Data Enable means that when the trigger occurs, signal data for that tapped node will be stored in the buffer.  Storage Enable means that that signal will be used as part of the condition for qualifying what data samples will be stored in the buffer.  If Storage Enable is enabled and Data Enable is *not* enabled, that signal will *not* show up in the captured data.

0 Kudos
Amir3
New Contributor I

thanks for your explanation.

In order to understand unequivocally - is there any situation where I will enable the 'Storage Enable' and disable the 'Data Enable'?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Sure.  If your storage qualification condition is very simple, for example when a particular signal is high, there's no need to capture that signal as data (since you know it will just show as high in all captured samples), saving you buffer space for other signals.

0 Kudos