Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

[SignalTap] -> how to merge SignalTap files?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

Is it possible to merge several SignalTap files together (Quartus can load a single STP file only)? 

When I disable an instance in the SignalTap file before the compilation, will this logic be not implemented (removed from SignalTap)? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, the files can't be merged, but you can have multiple instances in a single file. 

How are you disabling a single instance? I don't recall that option. The whole .stp file is either enabled or it's not, unless you're talking about manual instantiation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Here is how to enable/disable an instance in the STP: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14979&stc=1  

---------------------------------------------------------------------- 

So, if I disable one of the instances before the compilation, will the instance be not implemented at all? Will I not be able to use it after the compilation?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Forgot about that. 

I would guess that the instance would not be compiled into the design. It doesn't make sense to have an enabled checkbox like that and change it after compilation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We are several engineers in the project, each one prepares its own STP for the modules/entities...  

The problem is in the integration... We should compile the same project with different STP to enable debugiing different units... It's a headach...  

Is there no way to manage several STP in the same project? Are you sure there is no way to merge STPs?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There can only be one .stp file for a project revision. The only thing you can do is use manual Signal Tap instantiation instead of adding instances in the single .stp file. However, this means that you have to manually connect each Signal Tap instance to the signals you want to use for monitoring/triggering in your HDL code instead of in the .stp file GUI. 

The only other thing I can think of is use project revisions. Each revision has its own .qsf file and each .qsf file can point to a different .stp file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The effect of instance enable checkbox (only available in newer Quartus versions) can be clarified within one minute by a short test. I'm sure you have found out in the meantime. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you sure there is no way to merge STPs? 

--- Quote End ---  

There's apparently no supported way. But it's surely possible by manipulating Signaltap XML files.
0 Kudos
stpguru
Employee

Yes, it is possible to manipulate Signaltap XML files to do what's asked.

Example command line: quartus_py merge_stp_files.txt --merged_stp_file=out.stp a.stp b.stp

(.txt is .py. This forum site doesn't allow me to upload .py file.)

0 Kudos