Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15339 Discussions

System Console JTAG connection issue: device_download_sof

Bodil
Novice

Hi Intel,

I am working with a testing system for an Altera MAX 10 board. The system is fairly simple, I am using a TCL script to run the test. The way it works is: 

- The user interface is set ut through a "main" script

- A simple .sof is downloaded to the board to check the hardware ID

- A more sophisticated .sof with test features is then applied to run tests on the board.

I use the device_download_sof function and I always make sure to close all open services between calls to the fucntion. However, every second time I run system console the script fails on the second call to device_download_sof and prints out the following error:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mai 19, 2021 10:30:28 AM com.altera.debug.core
INFO: [INFO] Programming FPGA: /devices/10M50DA(.|ES)|10M50DC@1#USB-0 with \Users\ajb\system_console\scripts\production_test\trunk\E5248B02#00\1226.sof

SEVERE: device_download_sof: This device does not have a JTAG connection

SEVERE: java.lang.Exception: device_download_sof: This device does not have a JTAG connection
while executing
"device_download_sof $device $sof"
(procedure "board_test::jtag_upload_sof" line 134)
invoked from within
"board_test::jtag_upload_sof E5248B02#00"
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.Exception: device_download_sof: This device does not have a JTAG connection
while executing
invoked from within
at com.altera.systemconsole.internal.core.SimpleFuture$Sync.innerGet(SimpleFuture.java:208)
at com.altera.systemconsole.internal.core.SimpleFuture.getInternal(SimpleFuture.java:88)
at com.altera.systemconsole.internal.core.SimpleFuture.get(SimpleFuture.java:61)
at com.altera.systemconsole.dashboard.internal.SystemConsoleDashboard$TCLDashboard$1$1.run(SystemConsoleDashboard.java:70)
at com.altera.systemconsole.internal.core.SystemExecutor$2.run(SystemExecutor.java:306)
at com.altera.systemconsole.internal.core.SystemExecutor$4.run(SystemExecutor.java:553)
at com.altera.systemconsole.internal.core.SystemExecutor$ComparableTask.run(SystemExecutor.java:151)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: device_download_sof: This device does not have a JTAG connection
while executing
invoked from within
at com.altera.systemconsole.scripting.ScriptEngine$5.run(ScriptEngine.java:589)
at com.altera.tcl.interpreter.NativeTclWrapper.runEvent(NativeTclWrapper.java:341)
at com.altera.tcl.interpreter.NativeTclWrapper.doOneEvent0(Native Method)
at com.altera.tcl.interpreter.NativeTclWrapper.doOneEvent(NativeTclWrapper.java:355)
at com.altera.tcl.interpreter.NativeTCLInterpreter.waitAndDoOneEvent(NativeTCLInterpreter.java:436)
at com.altera.tcl.interpreter.InterpreterInstantiator$1.run(InterpreterInstantiator.java:59)
... 1 more

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To make it even more complicated it fails consequently every second time.

Additionally, the testscript system worked fine a couple of years ago. I've spent a lot of time trying to find the issue and even called in the guy who made the system, but to no avail.

Bellow I provide all the measures I have taken to identify the problem: 

• All services are closed
  • I've tried both the Quartus Prime 20.1 and 16.1 versions
  • Power cycling the all HW connected to the system
  • Downloaded .sof from previous versions of the system
  • Deactivated the Altera jtagserver.exe
  • Replaced all HW components
  • Used different USB blasters

Host computer is running Win10 x64

FPGA is a Altera MAX10 10M50DAF48417G

The debug board uses a MCP2200 serial converter

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appriciated.

--

A.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Bodil
Novice

I also tried the Quartus Prime Pro v21.1, this didn't change anything..

YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi, you mentioned that it works previously. Any idea what changes has been made?

Can you try with different HOST PC?