Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Timing driven synthesis option is not found in Quartus 19.4 when Agilex device is selected

Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

When using Agilex device in Quartus 19.4, There is no option to set Timing driven synthesis (in advanced synthesis settings). Hence I am not sure if SDC file will be considered during synthesis.

From Logs, there is no mention about SDC file during synthesis stage. But SDC is loaded only during plan stage. How can i enable SDC file during synthesis?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kenny_Tan

For Agilex, this feature had been drop

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Kenny_Tan

If you refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/quartushelp/current/index.htm#logicops/logicops/def_synth_timing_driven_synthesis.htm

This options does not support agilex device.

Unlike standard edition, you will have to use SDC files on the fitter plan stage itself.

0 Kudos
Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

Do you know why it is not there for Agilex? or do we have an alternate option wgen using Agilex?

In such a case, how do we make sure synthesis is aware of my timing constraints to optimize the design?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Timing driven synthesis was enable by default in Pro. You do not need to do any thing unless you want to disable it.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/archives/ug-qpp-compiler-18-1.pdf

page 11

As long as you put your constrain sdc files in assignemtn -> setting -> timing analyzer. it should be sufficient to let Quartus know that you had use your timing constrain.

0 Kudos
Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

If so, shouldnt there be a mention about SDC in synthesis log? Bit it is not doing.

I think synthesis step then should throw syntax errors from SDC file. Somehow this is not happening.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Do you have a simple design example for Pro and Std? I will make a comparison here and get back to you.

Basically, I do think that synthesis steps should throw syntax error from the SDC since sdc is being taking care of in synthesis when using timing driven synthesis.

0 Kudos
Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

I can provide a sample design of Pro, not Standard as i do not have it.

As you said, timing driven synthesis is by default ON. then why do yo think synthesis will not consider sdc errors?

In the attached example, i do not see any info messages about sdc during synthesis.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

base on your design. I move it to standard of Quartus. And purposely set the incorrect port to your sdc.

create_clock -name clk -period 10 [get_ports clockABC]

When I run the synthesis on both pro and std. I don't see any sdc error or warning. this is for apple to apple comparison.

0 Kudos
Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

Yes you are right.

This is why I doubt if Timing information is considered or not during synthesis

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Internally, it should. However, they don't check on sdc error. Which means, it will take the sdc that is written incorrectly, either ignore it and implement wrongly on it. Thus, when your synthesis, you might not get accurate timing synthesis.

However, in fitter stage, those sdc written will still be catch and user had to modify it there.

0 Kudos
Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

It does mean, there is no way to make sure synthesis was done really timing driven?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

you can still check in compilation report -> synthesis -> settings -> settings

Over there, you should see this option was on.

0 Kudos
Sajith_K_Intel
Employee

But there is no setting on "timing driven synthesis" for Agilex. This is what i was asking here.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Let me check with developer, Agilex are new device.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

For Agilex, this feature had been drop

0 Kudos
Sajith_K_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos