Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16612 Discussions

USB Blaster is recnized on wondows but not on Quartus

ramdamari
Beginner

Hi all

I am using USB altera with windows 10 and quartus 19. the usb device is reconized and working well as long it is the only usb device connected. When I attach a USB Hub it is steal recognized by the OS and the quartus changes it name to USB1. After a few seconds Quartus stops recognizing it until I restart the computer or remove the usb hub. I thried this with some different hubs and other Quartus version and the problem stays the same. 

Hep Enyonne?

Thanks

Rami Damari

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi Rami,

the only case where I regularly experience "diasppearance" of USB Blaster is when other FTDI USB FT232 or FT245 instances are connected to the computer, e.g. a FTDI USB-to-serial bridge. Have you other devices connected to the said USB hub?

As far as I'm aware of, the FTDI problem exists since many years and has never been solved. My solution is to switch to a different USB-to-serial bridge or a different FPGA adapter if both are needed in a test setup.

Regards
Frank 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi Rami,

the only case where I regularly experience "diasppearance" of USB Blaster is when other FTDI USB FT232 or FT245 instances are connected to the computer, e.g. a FTDI USB-to-serial bridge. Have you other devices connected to the said USB hub?

As far as I'm aware of, the FTDI problem exists since many years and has never been solved. My solution is to switch to a different USB-to-serial bridge or a different FPGA adapter if both are needed in a test setup.

Regards
Frank 

ramdamari
Beginner

Hi Frank. Thanks for the reply. 

Indeed, I have an FTDI cheep and now I know to disconnect any FTDI adatpter and use the USB Blaster.

Thanks

Rami

0 Kudos
tanabeh
Novice

I had encountered the same issue.
I encountered this issue just when I updated to Windows 10 22H2 and connected to UART-USB converter cable to debug MCU on the target system with MAX10 FPGA (10M50) on the same day.
Curiously Programmer.exe can always recognize USB Blaster after PC booted, but beyond second time Programmer cannot.
At first I suspect this issue was happened due to mismatch between Windows update and driver software or Quartus Programmer because Windows could detect USB Blaster but Programmer couldn't.
So updating Quartus software upto-date and re-installing USB driver software, but not helped.
Today I read this thread and check UART-USB converter, found the converter is FTDI chip.
With disconnecting UART-USB converter cable, USB Blaster became to be detected, thanks.

NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.