Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

[VHDL] how to manage lib name depending on the design entry?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I want to use the different library names for the same  

Le's say I have a VHDL file with the following lines: 

library mylib_1;use mylib_1.abc.all; 

But, when I'm going to use the same file for another design, I want this library will be named differently: 

library mylib_2;use mylib_2.abc.all; 

I don't want to edit this file depending on what design this file is going to be used.  

So, how should I manage this issue? Is it possible to do this using configurations? How? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you might be able to have a (tcl) script generate source code, but why do you need to switch?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why would you want to change the library name? libraries should be collections of related items. Eg. my_math_library would probably contain items that do maths functions. My_axi_lib would contain axi related items. It wouldnt really make sense to have different library names in different projects. 

Configurations wouldnt really work, as they still expect a known library name.  

In modelsim you can use the vmap function to map a library to another library, but that wouldnt help if you were refering to mylib_1 inside mylib_2. 

So try and explain why you're trying to do what you're doing?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"try and explain why you're trying to do what you're doing?" - for different projects, the unit should be compiled into different libraries (library nabes). 

"In modelsim you can use the vmap function to map a library to another library" - probably this would be a solution, but as you stated below  

"but that wouldnt help if you were refering to mylib_1 inside mylib_2" - is it possible to refer to a package in the library without stating the library name (just a path to the package, like a relative to the directory) 

For example,  

use ../../mypkg.all
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Verilog, there is "`define" where the names/paths might be defined 

In VHDL, there are generics. But as far as I understand, they canoot help in this case... 

The import package (like in SystemVerilog) is there something similar in VHDL?  

In VHDL, can I include different files (like `include in Verilog) depending on configuration?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

import package my_pkg in SV is equivalent to use my_pkg in vhdl. 

Compiling a unit into multiple libraries is perfectly fine. Whats the problem here?  

vcom -work my_lib1 abc.vhd 

vcom -work my_lib2 abc.vhd 

Now abc exists in both libraries. 

remember, you can refer to items in the same library using work. Work is not a library itself, it can be thought of as a "local library" 

So, why not post some code with what you're trying to do. Compiling the same thing into multiple libraries seems like an odd concept to me. A library should be a static thing containing static objects. I dont understand why you would want it in another library.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

VHDL has no pre-compiler, like# directives in C or ` directives in verilog. in a `include abc.vh, All these do is literally copy the text from abc.vh into top_level.v and then compile the file.

0 Kudos