Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15322 Discussions

[VHDL] how to manage lib name depending on the design entry?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I want to use the different library names for the same  

Le's say I have a VHDL file with the following lines: 

library mylib_1;use mylib_1.abc.all; 

But, when I'm going to use the same file for another design, I want this library will be named differently: 

library mylib_2;use mylib_2.abc.all; 

I don't want to edit this file depending on what design this file is going to be used.  

So, how should I manage this issue? Is it possible to do this using configurations? How? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you might be able to have a (tcl) script generate source code, but why do you need to switch?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why would you want to change the library name? libraries should be collections of related items. Eg. my_math_library would probably contain items that do maths functions. My_axi_lib would contain axi related items. It wouldnt really make sense to have different library names in different projects. 

Configurations wouldnt really work, as they still expect a known library name.  

In modelsim you can use the vmap function to map a library to another library, but that wouldnt help if you were refering to mylib_1 inside mylib_2. 

So try and explain why you're trying to do what you're doing?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"try and explain why you're trying to do what you're doing?" - for different projects, the unit should be compiled into different libraries (library nabes). 

"In modelsim you can use the vmap function to map a library to another library" - probably this would be a solution, but as you stated below  

"but that wouldnt help if you were refering to mylib_1 inside mylib_2" - is it possible to refer to a package in the library without stating the library name (just a path to the package, like a relative to the directory) 

For example,  

use ../../mypkg.all
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Verilog, there is "`define" where the names/paths might be defined 

In VHDL, there are generics. But as far as I understand, they canoot help in this case... 

The import package (like in SystemVerilog) is there something similar in VHDL?  

In VHDL, can I include different files (like `include in Verilog) depending on configuration?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

import package my_pkg in SV is equivalent to use my_pkg in vhdl. 

Compiling a unit into multiple libraries is perfectly fine. Whats the problem here?  

vcom -work my_lib1 abc.vhd 

vcom -work my_lib2 abc.vhd 

Now abc exists in both libraries. 

remember, you can refer to items in the same library using work. Work is not a library itself, it can be thought of as a "local library" 

So, why not post some code with what you're trying to do. Compiling the same thing into multiple libraries seems like an odd concept to me. A library should be a static thing containing static objects. I dont understand why you would want it in another library.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

VHDL has no pre-compiler, like# directives in C or ` directives in verilog. in a `include abc.vh, All these do is literally copy the text from abc.vh into top_level.v and then compile the file.