cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JShel4
Beginner

VSIM HLS error due to __ihc_hls_* DPI C/C++ Calls

Hello,

Has anyone seen DPI call issues when executing msim_run.tcl for the HLS example designs shipped with Intel Quartus?

I installed 18.1 (and later 18.0). Tried to "make-fpga" in counter example design. It passes. Later realized that the default script only compiles - does not run the simulation. So, I ran the ModelSim simulation by myself and ran into issues because it cannot find some of the imported DPI C/C++ calls in the simulation models. For e.g.:

# ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function '__ihc_hls_dbgs' in DPI C/C++ source files. # ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function '__ihc_hls_register_component_invocation_info' in DPI C/C++ source files. # ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function '__ihc_hls_get_stream_obj_ptr_for_component_interface' in DPI C/C++ source files. # ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function '__ihc_hls_stream_front' in DPI C/C++ source files. # ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function '__ihc_hls_stream_read' in DPI C/C++ source files. # ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function '__ihc_hls_register_stream_data_rate_info' in DPI C/C++ source files. # ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function '__ihc_hls_get_stream_obj_ptr_for_component_interface' in DPI C/C++ source files. # ** Warning: (vsim-3770) Failed to find user specified function '__ihc_hls_stream_ready' in DPI C/C++ source files.

These warnings lead to the main_dpi_controller throwing fatal error with trying to "run -all"

Any help will be super appreciated! Thank You!

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Hi,

This is expected, by default when you compile the example with command

make test-fgpa (for linux) or build.bat test-fpga (for windows) it should test simulation script and later running the executable file will run the simulation.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/hls/ug-hls-getting-start...

Page 13

4. Run the build.bat test-fpga command. The command compiles the C++ source code to a hardware executable and then runs a simulation of the generated HDL.

Expected outcome after you run the build.bat test-fpga command:

• The console displays the command it uses to generate the testbench binary and the contents of the project directory. For example,

i++ -march="<FPGA_family_or_part_number>" <source_files> -o test-fpga.

• The HLS compiler creates a .prj directory (for example, test-fpga.prj) in the current working directory.

• The console displays the output of the executable to signify a successful execution.

C:\intelFPGA_pro\18.1\hls\examples\QRD>build.bat test-fpga 

i++ --fpc --fp-relaxed -march=Arria10 MGS.cpp QRD_Testbench.cpp

TestbenchHelpers.cpp -o test-fpga.exe

Run test-fpga.exe to execute the test.

Thanks,

Arslan

Additionally if you wish to see the waveform, add the switch "-ghdl" to compile command.

Refer to HLS compiler user guide for details.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/ewa1457708982563.html#ewa14628235...

Topic: Debugging during Verification

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Arslan

JShel4
Beginner

Hi Arslan,

Thanks for the documentation pointers. I cannot say for sure that this all works on CentOS7 (which is what I was trying before) or Ubuntu.

Today I modified my system. I wiped it clean and installed CentOS 6.10. Now, I see that everything is working as expected.

The other change from before is that now, I am using a licensed product (Quartus and ModelSim). Though, I don't suspect that makes any difference.

Thanks for your response. Appreciate you trying to help!

Glad to know you are able to proceed with CentOS 6.

Officially HLS is supported for REDHAT 6 Linux and Windows 10/7 as of now.

Refer to OS support page.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/os-support.h...

Thanks,

Arslan