Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Verilog coding

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am just start to learn Verilog and immediately had a problem - please take a look at code - why "repeat (10) does not working? 

I was expected a 5 pulse train at every oop pulse - but in simulation the is no changes of pls output at all. 

I tried to use for and while condition - same result - no pulse train. 

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// 

module buff_gen (oop,pls); 

input oop; 

wire oop;  

output pls;  

reg pls; 

initial begin pls = 0; end 

always @ (posedge oop)  

begin 

repeat (10)  

begin  

# 5 pls = ~pls; 

end 

end 

endmodule 

//////////////////////////////////////// 

please tell me what I am doing wrong. 

thanks 

cicga
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

did you input a rising edge on oop? 

And what are you simulating? RTL or netlist? repeat is not a synthesisable construct and is for simulation only.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you're trying to simulate this, you need to have an input stimulus for oop to make it work at all. Otherwise, pls will just stay low. And as Tricky mentioned, the repeat construct is not synthesizable if you're trying to make this work in hardware.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for help, 

1. Where I can find specs for Verilog used in Quartus 2 and its specs - what can be used for simulation only etc. 

2. Yes I am sending oop signal ,but a problem is that not only repeat() don't work but nether for() and while(): 

module buff_gen (oop,pls); 

input oop; 

wire oop;  

output pls;  

reg pls; 

integer i;  

initial begin pls = 0; end 

always @ (posedge oop) begin 

for (i=0;i<10;i=i+1)  

begin  

pls = ~pls; 

end 

end 

endmodule 

please check attachment with waveform pictures.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. Try the HDL coding styles from the quartus handbook: https://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/courses/ece5760/de1_soc/hdl_style_qts_qii51007.pdf 

2. That is the quartus simulator. It only supports netlist simulation which will require synthesis. If you check the warnings, you'll probably find some code has been ignored. Also note that# N statements are also ignored for syntheis. 

Loops can only be used for parallel circuits. Not for events that occur in time. You need to build the circuit for that purpose, probably with a counter.
0 Kudos