Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Verilog: multiple conditions inside an if statement

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a 2D memory i created. 7X16 size, Ii.e 5 rows 16 bit each.  

i have 2 8 bit data coming in, and i want to fill 5 rows of the memory with the data. 

• first set of data will go automaticly to the memory MEM
  • then for each time i get a data i check if it was already saved in memory ( with a parameter buffer): 

• if not put it in the next available address 

• if yes, do nothing and increase counter x(counter for that row) by one 

• if all memory addresses are filled, just deal with counters, any FLUSH new data 

the code is a bit messy as i deal with all these at a single clock. 

pseudo code: 

i just want to emphasis the code works.it simulates and synthesised on FPGA and seems to work ok. i just think its a mess and prone to bugs.  

if(index ==0) MEM<={data1,data2}else if (in_data1<MEM+3 && in_data1>MEM-3 && in_data2<MEM+3 && in_data2>MEM-3) ....increase counter0else if(index ==1) MEM<={data1,data2} else if (in_data1<MEM+3 && in_data1>MEM-3 && in_data2<MEM+3 && in_data2>MEM-3) ....increase counter1.... and so on untill else if (in_data1<MEM+3 && in_data1>MEM-3 && in_data2<MEM+3 && in_data2>MEM-3) ....increase counter4  

I feel like its a very messy way. So a few of questiins:  

1. Is the arithmetic operation i use inside the "if statement" ok? Is it acceptable? 

2. How many logic statement can i put inside the if?  

3. because i sweep only 5 memory addresses, i decided to to all these in a single clock. It works but it seems messy to me, any sugestions?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. Yes its fine. Remember, all those conditions create longer logic chains, reducing the max speed of your design 

2. As many as you want. The limiting factor might be if it actually works at the desired clock speed. 

3. Because you're trying to read more than one location per clock cycle, this is not a memory, but an array of registers. It cannot infer a memory as only a single address can be read/written per clock cycle.
0 Kudos