Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16609 Discussions

Version Control of Quartus Projects with .qsys and .ip files

anrfpga
Novice

Hi All,

We are currently dealing with large designs with HPS connected to multiple Intel IPs along with our custom IPs in a .qsys file, and we are working with different boards. The configurations on different boards are slightly different so committing the entire qsys folder for each board into git is becoming too large and difficult to track changes and make updates. We also want to enable/disable certain features for different builds, so having a script based re-generation would be very helpful.

So, what is the best way to version control a quartus project? What files are enough to re-create the entire design? I have tried generating the .tcl script from the platform designer using the "export system as platform designer script" but it seems to need all the .ip files and their source files. I also came across these .tcl scripts to generate GHRDs on github, so if tool could output something like that, it would be great.

I went through older forums posts but all of them point to non-existent links. Please help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

When you export as .tcl, you shouldn't need any other files to recreate the system.  Why do you think you do?  

anrfpga
Novice

Apologies for the delay in my response. I have successfully run the script using qsys-script, and it is seemless. I am now able to modify it to fit my requirements. I have initially tried running it from tcl console and it threw an error. Upon seeing the add_component and load_component commands in the generated .tcl, I thought that I would need the .ip files as well. But I understood that it creates new ones in the same relative paths only after running it with qsys-script.

Again, thank you so much. Your help has made my work much easier.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi anrfpga,

Do you still require help on the issue?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi anrfpga,

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved on your side. I will close this thread for now.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos