Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

Why is Questa slower than Modelsim?

alexislms
Valued Contributor I

I was used to simulate with Intel-Modelsim SE 10.7c.

I might have a new project using an Intel FPGA therefore I wanted to give Intel-Questa SE a try and I was surprised to see it's twice slower than Intel-Modelsim 10.7c version for the same design.

Why? Is it normal?

Modelsim runs under 32b and the new Questa is exclusively 64b, that's the only reason I could find.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Hi @YEan,

Interesting... this was my first hands-on with intel's tools.

I now Questa delivered with Quartus pro 22.1 to avoid any compatibility issues.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
YEan
Employee

Can you try to use compiler optimizations and only expose the modules/components you want to look at in the simulation with the +acc switch.

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

@YEan I don't have any problem with my design.

I'm comparing two free versions, Intel-Modelsim SE 20.1 and Intel-Questa SE 21.1.

I'd expect the same performance or even better for Questa for an exact same design. Especially when actually the factor is 2.

Nevertheless, my benchmarking design has already `-voptargs="+acc"`.

Am I wrong?

0 Kudos
YEan
Employee

May I know which version of Quartus you are using ?

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Sorry, it's completely independent, Quartus plays no role here.

Intel-Modelsim SE 20.1 vs Intel-Questa SE 21.1, both provided by Intel with free license.

I run my design with a tcl script, IIRC generated by a previous version  of Quartus (com, elab ...) but that doesn't really matter. I'm talking about the speed of two simulators for an exact same design and tcl script.

Intel has replaced Modelsim SE with Questa SE that is much slower.

0 Kudos
YEan
Employee

Intel-Questa SE 21.1should be faster than Intel-Modelsim SE 20.1, I'm not sure why it is slow. I might need some time to look into it.

0 Kudos
YEan
Employee

I have tried to run a small project in both of these simulators and I think the speed was same for me.

0 Kudos
alexislms
Valued Contributor I

Hi @YEan,

Interesting... this was my first hands-on with intel's tools.

I now Questa delivered with Quartus pro 22.1 to avoid any compatibility issues.

Regards,

0 Kudos