Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Wrong path shown in ModelSim upon simulation breaking

valarz2020
Novice

Dear Intel Community,

I have faced a problem with simulation in ModelSim which I cannot beat. I have scanned through the forum but have no clue where else I can delve into.

The problem displays periodically when I break the simulation process (i. e. not on each hit but sometimes). I see an "# Error" message in the console which reads that the path like "/build/swbuild/SJ/nightly/18.1std/625/l64/work/modelsim/eda/sim_lib/altera_mf.v" is not found. Why is the path so strange and where can I change it so that the error does not display any longer? 

I use Quartus II ModelSim in Windows 10 20H2.

I will greatly appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Valery

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi Valery,

Can you try the solution provided in this old thread and let me know if it works for you?

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Quartus-Prime-Software/Error-while-trying-to-simulate-anything-using-modelsim-altera/td-p/734630

Thanks,

Nurina

0 Kudos
valarz2020
Novice

Thank you very much for your response! I've seen this information but it involves the manual editing of the script which does not seem viable in my case. I'll try to describe what I actually do in detail.

I'd like to simulate the DDR3 SDRAM Controller using the Example Design that is generated with the following tool (cf. attachement).

The genenation completes successfully and I get the README file in the simulation folder. Then I perform all the actions as listed in the README file. When I run the simulation it starts successfully. Hoewever, when I click the "Break" button when the simulation is running I get the above mentioned errors (i. e. "path not found").

It is noteworthy to mention that $QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR variable in the autogenerated msim_setup.tcl points to the correct location:

set QUARTUS_INSTALL_DIR "C:/intelfpga/18.1/quartus/"

Do I understand correctly that these errors should not display if I follow the recommendations from the README file?

Should I really set path_to_quartus variable in order to solve the problem? May this problem be connected to environment variables or libs installation?

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for providing detailed information regarding your problem. I'm assuming you're using Quartus Version 18.1, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct, there shouldn't be any errors when following the README file. Yes, it's possible that your environment/libraries are not compatible. Make sure your ModelSim - Intel FPGA is for Quartus 18.1. You can refer to this document about that, as well as simulation steps and debugging: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/hco1416492180052.html#hco1416491945054

I'd say if you can try reinstalling Quartus and ModelSim, but if the problem persists you'd have to manually edit the simulation script.

Regards,

Nurina

P/S: If you find any comments to be helpful, feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos
valarz2020
Novice

Hello!

Sorry for a delayed reponse -- I had to switch to another task which took much time.

The situation became more strange. I have re-opened my design after a small break and the simulation didn't even start. However, after a system reboot I have fired up ModelSim and the simluation in the intact example design (generated previoulsy) started smoothly. The path error upon simulation breaking stopped displaying. Thus, I cannot reproduce the error now and don't know which way to go to reproduce it... The issue may be closed by now, I think...

Does this forum support re-opening the issue, if the same error occurs again or am I supossed to start a new thread?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hello,

Yes I suspected a reboot or a reinstallation would have solve this. Regardless I'm glad your problem is resolved.

You can re-open the case within 15 days of close pending by just commenting on this thread. Otherwise the community will help. I suggest you open a new thread if you come across this problem after 15 days.

With that being said I'll put this case to a close pending, after 15 days it will close and as I said earlier, you can re-open the case by just commenting.

Regards,

Nurina

P/S: If you find any comments to be helpful, feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos