Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16609 Discussions

altera_pll library instantiation error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm running the latest Quartus Prime web edition with the latest modelsim, I just downloaded them yesterday. I just made a simple project following the Altera introductory training and I've fixed a bunch of errors by reading the forums but I'm stuck here. When I try to simulate my test bench in modelsim I get this error: 

Instantiation of 'altera_pll' failed. The design unit was not found. 

Now I did learn to manually add the libraries in model sim and that fixed a few errors like that but I am still stuck with this one. Here's the library search path: 

# Searched libraries:# C:/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/altera/vhdl/cyclonev# C:/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/cyclonev# C:/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/altera/vhdl/220model# C:/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/220model# C:/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/altera/vhdl/altera# C:/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/altera_mf# C:/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/altera/verilog/cyclonev_hssi# C:/Users/xxxx/Documents/fpga/simulation/modelsim/rtl_work 

I thought from reading the forums that the altera_pll should be in altera_mf, but that didn't work. This was the vsim line that threw the error, it's run when I select my test bench in the simulate window and hit ok: vsim -L cyclonev -L cyclonev_ver -L lpm -L lpm_ver -L altera -L altera_mf_ver -L cyclonev_hssi_ver work.my_first_fpga_test 

This is also a cycloneV design. Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

meh it was in altera_lnsim_ver, there must be a way to have these libraries setup automatically when I come in from quartus?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you sure you're adding the libraries correctly? 

Refer to this post: http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54455. This details how to add each of the libraries you need to a ModelSim simulation. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos