Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

aocl-clang exists but is not working!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I try run hello_world and get this error: 

C:\Windows\system32>aocl version 

aocl 16.0.0.211 (Altera SDK for OpenCL, Version 16.0.0 Build 211, Copyright (C) 

2016 Altera Corporation) 

C:\Windows\system32>%ALTERAOCLSDKROOT%\init_opencl.bat 

AOCL_BOARD_PACKAGE_ROOT is set to C:\altera\16.0\hld\board\s5phq. Using that. 

Adding C:\altera\16.0\hld\bin to PATH 

Adding C:\altera\16.0\hld\host\windows64\bin to PATH 

Adding C:\altera\16.0\hld\board\s5phq\windows64\bin to PATH 

C:\Windows\system32>cd C:\Users\usuario\Documents\Master\hello_world 

C:\Users\usuario\Documents\Master\hello_world>aoc -march=emulator device\hello_w 

orld.cl -o bin\hello_world.aocx --board s5phq_a7 

Error: aoc: Executable C:/altera/16.0/hld/windows64/bin/aocl-clang exists but is 

not working! 

The cause of failure cannot be determined. Run executable manually and watch for 

error messages. 

Can anybody help me?
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since you seem to have installed Quartus in Drive C, assuming that you are using Windows 10 or you have UAC enabled, windows security settings could be interfering with the process. Starting a cmd session as admin and test with that to see if it bypasses the problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi HRZ, 

I'm using Windows 7 and UAC disabled. 

I starting a cmd session as admin and test but the error continued.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you try running the "aocl-clang" executable manually and see what happens as suggested by the original error message?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, i have the same issue but in Ubuntu environment. When i did execute "aocl-clang" manually the system reported: 

error while loading shared libraries: libmip_common.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 

Now, i'm trying to solve this missed library
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That library is shipped with Quartus itself. Either your installation is incomplete or you have not added the path to the libraries required by the OpenCL compiler to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

0 Kudos
MDavi14
Beginner

Hi, I have the some problems with aocl-clang. do you have any documentation? I have problems with -board argument

0 Kudos
SDesh12
Beginner

Hey

I am facing a similar issue.

C:\intelFPGA_pro\Examples\1.hotspot>aoc -v -board=s10gx device/hotspot.cl -o bin/hotspot.aocx

aoc: Clang version:

Error: aoc: Executable C:/intelFPGA_pro/19.1/hld/windows64/bin/../../llvm/bin/aocl-clang exists but is not working!

The cause of failure cannot be determined. Run executable manually and watch for error messages.

Where you able to solve this?

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Did you try the existing suggestions? Specifically, running the aocl-clang binary directly to see what error message it will print?

0 Kudos
SDesh12
Beginner

Yes I did run the aocl-clang binary. It displayed a series of system error windows. But these files are present in the C:\intelFPGA_pro\19.1\quartus\dspba\backend\windows64 directory.

Error-2.PNGError-1.PNG

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

Please carefully check the following document and make sure you have correctly followed the steps to install the SDK and set the environmental variables:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/opencl-sdk/aocl_getting_started.pdf

If you are using Windows 10, it is best not to install Quartus in drive C due to possible permission problems. You can try changing the permission of the installation folder of Quartus and all its subfolders so that they are accessible by "Everyone" and see if it fixes your problem. You can also try running the cmd shell through which you run your commands as admin. More info can be found here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/194041/how-to-open-the-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-windows-8.1/

0 Kudos
lnlnln
Beginner

I also encountered this problem, but it has been solved. Everyone may have a different reason for this problem. Let me talk about my situation.

I encountered this situation because the system environment variable PATH lacks the following path:

C:\Windows\system32

C:\Windows

C:\Windows\System32\Wbem

As for why the lack of these will lead to this problem, emmmm, maybe, I don't know, and if it causes this problem, you should also find that command shutdown will be invalid at the command prompt.

0 Kudos